Chapter Fifteen

Sally couldn’t believe the sight in front of her. It was none other than Corinne. The questions started bombarding her mind: Where was Buddy? Where was Ryne? When would they come? She already figured out why they’d traveled to Denver: They’d come for her. Now, she had to figure out a way to communicate. She looked around for something to write on. A quill pen and paper sat on the desk. She wrote in letters as large as possible:

                                                        FIND BUDDY

Corinne would, of that Sally was certain, but she didn’t know how long it would take or what they’d encounter once they returned. Thanks to Juliette, she’d learned that the good-for-nothings outside were there to keep her from leaving and that they were instructed to shoot any man who tried to enter the house without express permission from the man answering to Bill. But, a woman could gain admittance.

Corinne nodded her head, indicating silently to Sally that she had seen the message, but hadn’t managed to escape the queries of the ruffian at the back entrance. Sally hoped Corinne would be able to dash off before they decided she was to be in the house, too.

*****

Corinne smiled tentatively at the brutes coming her way. The fine hair on the back of her neck stood up in alarm.

“He looks dangerous, Mrs. Wilkinson.” Anna whispered. Before Corinne could respond at all, the man began ambling slowly toward the back of the garden, right towards them. 

“You there: What are you doing?” He hollered, gaining the attention of the other guards; both the one at the front door and the two who seemed to just be hanging around earlier when she’d rounded the street corner. She breathed deeply, scared to silence by his sheer size and the scowl on his face.

“Oh!” Startled, Corinne tried to think of a reason to give why she was standing on the back property uninvited. “I was just - ad-admiring this – b-beautiful h-h-h-house?” She stuttered in a questioning tone instead of a confident one she wanted to use.

“Get on! This is just a house! Don’t need no nosy biddies hanging around." Immobilized by shear fear, Corinne stared agape at the man. "Move before I have to pull my gun. I don’t take kindly to shooting a lady, but I will.” The other men had come around the corner.

“What’s all the hollerin’ about?” One growled.

“Who’s that?” Another asked. The third looked big enough to lift a horse, and was starting towards her, as well.

“I’ll just be – going – now. Sorry to have disturbed you.” Corinne smiled a bright and mischievous smile as she grabbed Anna’s hand and ran off as fast as her feet could carry her. She ran all the way to the hotel, periodically glancing behind to see if any ne’er do well had followed; never mind ladies weren’t supposed to run. No one had pursued her.

Frantically walking into the lobby of the hotel, she stopped to catch her breath and look around. There was no sign of the three men she’d traveled with, and she needed them most urgently.

Easing into a chair, she asked: “Anna? Could you ask a waiter to bring me some water? And inquire at the front desk about my husband’s whereabouts please?” The poor lady was as out of breath as Corinne.

Anna disappeared quickly, and Corinne breathed a sigh of relief. She’d not been that scared since… she blocked the thought. No sense reliving the past that couldn’t be changed. She was thankful for it. A waiter from the restaurant brought her a drink of water, and the concierge was just behind him with Anna in tow.

“Mrs. Wilkinson: I believe your husband has stepped out for the remainder of the afternoon. He’s not left any messages for you. Would you like some refreshments? You appear rather winded.”