Chapter Thirteen

A/N: The song is "Drift Off To Dream" by Travis Tritt. It's Buddy's mind and heart put to words and music. Enjoy the 5 pages, though I'm not 100% sure how long that last page actually is. Formatting is different on Word than on Wattpad. 

A/N #2: While reading through "Heart of a Cowboy" recently, I noticed I used the name Selma. Well, I don't care to repeat names in books, if I can help it, so I have changed Selma to Juliette. Hopefully, this won't confuse those who have already started reading chapters 12 and 13. Thanks for understanding! ~ C

* * * * *

Sally remained abed for two days, never unattended for more than ten minutes at a time. Edna came to check on her a time or two, but Juliette was her main caretaker. She remained unconscious, unable to tell what had happened. Juliette worried over her to the point of distraction. She’d finally decided to talk with Edna about sending Sally back to her new home instead of keeping her in Denver until after she gave birth.

“Edna … this place isn’t good for her.” Juliette introduced the idea with trepidation. “I think she might deliver too soon. That babe would have no chance of life if that happened.” The early October wind howled around the building, finding a way through the cracks of the windows, effectively chilling them to the bone. “She’s too far along now to do anything else. I think we need to send her home. Forget Bill and his evil plan. She can’t handle it.”

Edna didn’t utter a sound. She pondered Juliette’s request for several moments which seemed like an eternity to the young girl.

“I see your point. Thankfully Bill left early this morning. He was obviously a source of tribulation for the woman. She made her feelings known in regards to my wayward husband and his nefarious ways.”

“If you feel that way about him, why do you stay married to him?” Juliette asked, immediately regretting the words that had just left her lips, but wondering just the same. She started a fire to abate the cool air that was pervading the space.

“Because a divorced woman my age has no chance in these parts. We have an arrangement I can live with. Besides the obvious benefits, he also makes sure I want for nothing. I’m a rich, kept woman. It could be much worse. We don’t have children of our own. So, when I can, I take care of others. That’s why I took you in. I figured you’d be as close to my child as any. I don’t think I’m going to let you work for Bill, though. Now, what to do about Miss Daniels?” Edna was back to thinking again.

“Maybe we should wait until she’s awake.” Juliette offered. “She might have a say on this.”

“The problem, dear child, is that Bill has posted guards at my front and back door. They are there night and day, taking turns and never moving. He told me he was doing this, but I have no say in their station at all. They report to someone else, and Bill said it didn’t matter what I felt about it, they were staying.” Edna was visibly upset by this turn of events.

“Why?” The single word question hung in the air.

“He wants Sally Daniels. He wants her back in Boulder as soon as she is capable. He is willing to post rough necks to ensure she doesn’t escape. They’re not good. I know them. They travelled here with Bill and they won’t leave until he tells them to.”

Juliette looked out the window and saw who Edna was speaking about. The one at the back door was huge and carrying a pair of pistols. He looked malicious. She felt a cold permeating her bones that had nothing to do with the weather.

“I see what you mean. I am so concerned for her, though, Edna. She’s not doing well. She’s been here almost week.”

“We’ll figure something out. In the meantime, just keep a careful watch on her. No doubt in my mind, those men were told about Sally, and not in a positive way. They would take advantage of her if she were alone for too long. I’ll enlist Henry to help you. You’re a good girl, Juliette. Thank you.”