Chapter Six

A week after the kiss that changed her life, Sally sat reading a letter from Corinne in Colorado Springs.

Dear Sally,

We are so happy to announce that we are having a baby. I recently told Ryne on his birthday. It was quite funny, as he didn’t understand his gifts. He is so excited, his smile never fades. He’s even more attentive, not letting me do nearly as much as before, and he’s always asking me how I feel. I have to admit to being ill some, but it’s starting to ease up some.

I must keep this a short letter, but I wanted to extend our invitation to visit. We’d love to see you and Lottie, if she can come. Please consider it our honor to have you as our guest.

          Please extend our love to Lottie, Mamie and Tom, Hester Sue and Gerald, and Buddy of course.

Your friend,

Corinne

Corinne and Ryne were expecting a baby? Sally wanted to jump for joy. She hadn’t shared her news of the same nature, but in her predicament, it wasn’t considered joyful. She needed to talk to Mamie about visiting with the Wilkinsons for a while. Sally so desired to see her new friend, and to visit her. She decided to accept the invitation, writing down her consent in a quick note.

After that task was accomplished, Sally set to getting ready for dinner. Tom was out again on a trip, so it was only Mamie and Sally most nights. He’d be home soon enough, and though they’d been gracious and patient with her, Sally suspected they’d like some time alone.

A knock sounded at the door, and Sally didn’t hear Mamie shuffling about, so Sally assumed she was out back doing whichever chore she found to do. This left Sally to answer the door.

She cracked the door, and then a smile spread across her face.

“Deputy Brand.” She had taken to only calling him Buddy when they were alone, for propriety’s sake. “What brings you over this evening?” She showed him in, shutting the large wooden door behind them.

“The same reason that brings me every chance I get: You. Now quit with the formalities and let me gather you into a proper hug and kiss.” He said as his deep grin showed off the dimples in his cheeks.

“It would hardly be proper, Buddy. Mamie is somewhere else, where I’m not sure, doing some task or another. Kissing without proper chaperone would not be acceptable.” She teased as she pulled him closer still.

“Kiss him before you chase him off, Sally. I’m inside now. Thank you for getting the bread in the oven.” Mamie called, not wanting to intrude.

“There, you heard it from the Lady of the House. Now, where did we leave off?” He closed his eyes and sampled her sweet lips, enjoying every moment.

After a few more small kisses, Sally sat with him in the great room. “I received a short letter from Corinne today. She’s expecting! And she wants me to come for a visit. I want to go. I’d love to see her.” She looked into his eyes for a reaction.

Buddy exhaled before answering. “I think this is a good thing. I’ve been concerned about you and getting away for a while might just prove to be exactly what you need.”

“Are you saying you don’t want me here?” Sally pouted, never releasing from his arm which rested around her shoulder.

“No. Of course not. Sally, you should know better than that. You’re becoming someone I need to be near every single day. But Mr. Davenport, Mr. Tabor, and our unknown “artist” are not making life here easy for you. I’m concerned about you.”