Epilogue

Christmas 1881

The smell of Christmas pie, cookies, and all the trimmings filled the house as Sally rushed around putting last minute decorations up. She heaved a deep breath as she stood on the chair to place the wreath over the fireplace. Any minute now, Buddy would be returning from the train depot with their many visitors. This would be the best Christmas yet.

It was hard to believe they’d been married a year. So much had changed since that fall day at Edna’s house. They’d returned to Erie and built a house further from town. He was still Deputy, but Will said he was planning on retiring soon and Buddy was considering the offer to take over the role of Sheriff.

Lottie continued working for the Banks family. Her would-be love, David, had joined the Cavalry and was stationed at Fort Hays in Kansas. They continued sharing letters. Sally still wasn’t sure where it would lead. It would be hard for a white man and a woman of color to be married. People just didn’t take kindly to it. Sally figured if the Lord wanted them together, they’d overcome any and every obstacle thrown at them.

The biggest change in their lives was the birth of Ryne Michael Brand. Named after the two men who’d helped to save her,  they called him Mikey for short. He’d been born in February during one of Colorado’s biggest snowfalls of the year. At almost ten months old, he was crawling as fast as he could all over the house. Right now, though, he was sleeping. Sally thought he looked like her father and she was thankful for that. He had Matthew’s handsome smile, but the other features were more like her family. It was no surprise that Buddy was an amazing father to Mikey. He was quite literally home more than work, and loved playing with his son. She didn’t think that Matthew was missing, but that Buddy was meant to be Mikey’s dad.

The sounds from outside told Sally she’d finished her preparations just in time. Soon Edna and her new husband, Michael, and the Wilkinson’s with their new baby, Julia Grace, born in late April, were finally here.

Sally flung the door open wide and hugged the ladies as they arrived at the door. The men unloaded bags while Sally took sweet Anna from Corinne and carried her inside. 

“Do you want me to put her down in Mikey’s room? He should be awake soon.” Sally whispered in attempt to keep the tot asleep.

“Thank you. That’s perfect.”

Edna followed in and Sally just couldn’t believe how happy she looked. Her belly was large with her first child. She was considered quite a bit older to be giving birth, but life had treated her well.

“Edna, you’re abolutely radiant. How is maternity treating you?” Sally asked with a hug.

“Wonderful. I just have a few more months. I never thought I’d have children. This is a miracle all in itself. And Michael? He’s positively wonderful. We should talk privately - later.” She winked. They both knew what she meant, and it was not a conversation most proper ladies engaged in; but they weren’t most aldies. They’d known Bill. That made everything different.

As soon as everyone was settled, Sally announced: “Dinner is ready!”

While everyone found their seats, Mikey made a happy squeal, sending Sally down the hallway to get him before he woke Julia. Returning, she placed him in his high chair in time for Buddy to start grace. As Buddy opened his mouth, someone knocked on the door. He closed it, laughed a little, and went to answer.

“Mamie, Tom, Will, Luanne. Please come in. We’re ready to eat.” He laughed, greeting his friends.

Finally, Buddy was able to bless the food. The conversation progressed with the meal. Soon enough, they had all had more than their fill.

“Coffee will be served in the great room, gentlemen. Ladies, we’ll take tea in the kitchen.” Julia called a little screech and Corinne and Sally walked to the nursery to get her. She could tell Corinne was ready to nurse the baby. “Feel free to use my rocker and anything here. I need to start the kettle for tea.”

“We won’t be too long. She likes a little snack when she wakes up, but is usually too busy to do more. She’s quite the active little thing.” Corinne laughed as Sally walked out.

*****

The rest of the evening went splendidly. Lottie joined them for the evening after spending Christmas with the Banks family. She was all smiles, as usual. They exchanged gifts and talked most of the night, taking time out to care for the little ones. Mamie was the mother and grandmother Sally wished for as a child, and she adored Mikey and Julia both so much, giving them several gifts and swearing it was because her grandchildren were too far away.

Sally and Buddy slowly made their way toward their own master bedroom after their out-of-town visitors were in bed for the night. Sally was still in awe of everything. Buddy had given her a lovely cape to wear to town when it was not so cold out, as well as riding hat and gloves. She’d given him a new leather saddle and new pants and shirts. Mikey was spoiled in the gift department. He received a new wooden rocking horse among other such trinkets.

“It was a good Christmas.” Sally sighed as they disrobed and readied for bed.

Buddy circled his arms around her waist. “It’s about to get better.” No mistaking the tone in her husband’s voice, Sally smiled.

“Hmm. One more gift for you, my wonderful husband.” She grinned, and he looked at her with a silent  'oh?'. “But, I won’t be able to give it to you until next fall.” Sally couldn’t keep the tears from spilling, she was so happy.

“Why’s that, darlin’?” The look on his face spoke of uncertainty.

“That’s just how long it takes.” Sally offered with a shrug.

“Well, do you think you should tell me what it is? I have to wait nine mon….” Buddy stopped in the middle of the word as it dawned on him what she was trying to tell him. “Really? Are you sure? How long have you known?”

“Yes, really, and yes, I’m sure. I’ve known for almost two weeks now. We will have another child a month or so before our next anniversary.” Sally no sooner had the words out of her mouth than her husband had her on her back in their bed.

“That’s the best gift ever. I wonder what it will be?” He whispered between kisses.

“Hopefully a baby.” Sally giggled.  She turned serious very suddenly. “Thank you, Buddy.”

“For putting you in the family way? You’re welcome; glad I could help. I look forward to keeping you that way for years to come.” He chuckled, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

“No." She giggled softly at her husban's joke. "What I mean is… Thank you for taking a chance on me, for loving me, for proving to me that I am worthy of love, and most of all for showing me that true love means sacrifice and gentility; labor and favor. You showed me the love of a man, and the love of the Almighty. This life wouldn’t have been possible if you had dismissed that whore on the street in Boulder.”

Buddy could utter no words. Instead of trying to say anything, he showed her what her love meant to him. Theirs was a love born in adversity, and tried in fire. It had been tested repeatedly, and had come out shining. Sally had finally found real love worth living, and dying, for.