Chapter Twenty-One

“Bill! For the love of God, what do you want with me? I’ve already told you, I’m done! Through with you, your abuse, your idea of work: YOU! Leave me alone before I scream as loud as I can. You’ll have more people here than you want. You want many things, but attention to your reprehensible schemes has never been on that list.”

“Just … just once, please, listen to what I have to say, Sally.” Bill said in a calm voice. He was too calm. Something was different. Or Wrong. Sally wasn’t sure which, but this man in front of her was NOT the man she’d worked for.

“It’s Mrs. Brand, and I don’t want to know what you think. I don’t care about what you have to say. It’s done and over with Bill. Leave.” She pointed to the door, but her request fell on deaf ears as he kept talking.

“I wanted to tell you … I’ve never told you … that - that I’m in love with you.” Those words, from Bill of all people, sounded foreign.

“There’s no way. You don’t treat people you love the way you treated me, Bill.” She turned away from him, staring out the window into the street to contain her emotions running rampant through her mind and playing games with her heart. “If anything, I’d think you hate me. You’re a cruel task master who forces his way regardless of the situation. I’m really not surprised you’re here as much as I am that you found me so quickly. You know what?” Sally spun around, pointing her index finger at his chest. “You have a wife. She adores your despicable being more than you deserve.” She said with a scoff and a half smile. “Why don’t you go home, confess your sins to your wife, and fight for her? I’ve already been won: By Jesus first, and then by my husband.”

“No, Sally. He can’t have you when you’re already mine. You’re going to do what I tell you, for old time’s sake and we’re getting out of Denver before the sun sets. Do as I tell you and no harm will come to you.” Sally was ready with a retort when she saw him draw a gun.

“Not this again.” Sally covered her face with her hands briefly. Wiping her eyes, she looked at the sad excuse for a man and exclaimed:  “I’m so tired of men who think they know better than me pointing guns at me to get me to do something I don’t want to do!”

“Nonetheless, dearest Sally Daniels…”

“It’s Brand. B.R.A.N.D. Brand.”

“You’re coming with me, regardless of your recent name change. We’re going back to where you belong. I’ve already decided to give you a suite with your own bathing area, hire a maid and a nanny to help you with your child, and you will be mistress over the younger girls. That means more money. And you’ll have a father for your baby. What more could a whore want?”

“Do you know what else it means? Do you, Bill? It means I have to live and deal with the likes of you for the rest of my life and I’m just not willing to do that. My child deserves a real life, with a real father. Do you want to know what I want? Do you even care? No! You don’t. You want what YOU want, and no one else’s life, comfort, opinions, or ideas matter. It’s like you’ve never passed being a two year old child: Throwing tantrums when you don’t get your way. But this time, you have a gun.”

At those words, he roughly pushed her on the bed. Unable to climb on top of her, he dropped his face close to hers, whispering: “I sure do. Now you’ll do as your told, like old times. Right?” Sally nodded out of fear, but started the wheels turning in her mind to find a way to escape.

*****

Buddy saw Mamie to the train before heading back to the hotel. He was stopped by Fritz and Mrs. Mulholland and they spoke for quite some time. They even invited him to have a drink with them. Edna looked positively glowing, and Michael was definitely a new man. Ryne and Corinne joined them for a while, questioning how Sally was feeling.