Chapter Eighteen

A pound sounded on the door a bit too early for Corinne. Ryne had been one incredibly demanding husband the night before, only allowing her a little sleep between some of the best love-making they’d ever shared. Now, she was very tired, and a little irritated at the early wake up. Hopefully, her overly amorous husband had thought to ring for a bath. She heard her love’s voice, low and sultry, talking with the unknown intruder and wondered what on earth was happening.

“Who is it, love?” She called as he closed the door.

“It seems you have a message from Mrs. Mulholland.” He responded, turning around to face his wife, still in bed. She looked a mess, and he found himself fighting his need to taste her once again.

“Oh really? May I have it please? She was willing to meet in a public place after I told her of your concern for my safety.” She eyed her husband’s state of undress, considered the look in his eye, and smiled.

“Of course, love. I’m just harassing you a bit. You look absolutely ravishing this morning, and I have a mind to go another round with you before church.” His low laugh at her obviously fatigued state sent shivers through Corinne’s body. The man was irresistible. He moved into her personal space, kissed her roughly, and handed her the missive. “However, you look as if you need a break, so I asked the bellhop to have the maid prepare a bath. Let me know what Mrs. Mulholland’s note says. We will need to include the others in our plan.”

“Thank you, my handsome and affectionate husband.” She kissed back, playing with him in ways that drove him to the edge of reason. The woman was tempting, plain and simple. He dressed quickly so she could have some time to ready herself.

Corinne unfolded the small paper, reading it through once or twice to get the directions firm in her mind. She suspected these men might follow Edna to the meeting place, and also that they could very well try something less than admirable. She’d never told Ryne that the man had intended to take her to Boulder as well. She just didn’t have the heart.

Mrs. Wilkinson,

I trust you returned to your husband and are once again on stable ground with him. I believe the church service at the Lawrence Street Church begins about ten o'clock. I hope Methodist Episcopal is acceptable, as I don't know your religious preferences, but it will be a safe and populated enough place that we won't have much to fear. We will meet in the back left side of the building’s narthex. I will have Arnold and one or two others with me. Bring your husband. Anyone else may startle Mr. Washington, who is sure to follow me, but if you feel the need to bring them along, I do understand. Have them space themselves in the back of the church so as not to appear to be one large party. I have a plan in place, and we can discuss it in detail before the service begins. Please send an answer back if you have time. Otherwise, I will take your lack of response to mean you will meet with me.

Sincerest Regards,

Mrs. Mulholland

Corinne penned a rapid response while waiting for the maid to knock for the bath.

Dear Mrs. Mulholland,

I do appreciate your efforts to aid us. I will have my husband, Mrs. Martha “Mamie” Patterson, and at least two others in my company, perhaps three. I will give them the instructions to maintain a cool demeanor and to separate a little so as not to appear conspicuous. I shall be in the narthex as directed at half past nine.

Warmest greetings,

Mrs. Corinne Wilkinson