Chapter Eight

Sally finally relaxed when Ryne and Corinne retired for the evening. She was glad they'd given her a room in another part of the house. A couple needed, and was entitled to, privacy. She had yet to divulge her state of expectancy to the couple. She prayed they would understand. Worry plagued her thoughts in regards to Matthew's parents. 

"Stop borrowing trouble, Sally. Today has enough of its own." With her personal pep talk out, she took paper and penned a letter first to Mamie, and then to Buddy. Her heart ached to return his declaration, however it never seemed the right time. She decide to make it known when she saw him again. Realizing it in the deepest recesses of her being, Sally could no longer hold the information in. She had to hear it, to say it.

"I love Buddy?" She questioned herself. Then, the obvious could no longer be ignored. "I love Buddy! I. Love. Buddy. But, do I love him enough to marry him?" She smiled, knowing the answer in her heart of hearts; she suddenly couldn't wait to tell him. "In person. I have to tell him face to face." With her mind settled on that thought, she retired for the evening.

*****

Davenport met Michael Fritz as soon as the train pulled in. The local brothel, thanks to Michael, was thriving. He even had an overabundance of girls. Some of them would be traveling with him when he returned to Erie, for the right price, naturally.  

"How do you like Erie? Not as big as you're used to." Michael laughed, elbowing Davenport in the ribs.   

"It isn't Denver or Boulder, to be sure, but it's growing on me. We're almost ready for the doors to open. The miners will love what we have to offer. Did you meet with Mr. Richards yet?" Davenport said, directing the conversation towards their business.  

"No. He's quite the busy man, especially since his son was killed. I have met his lovely wife more than once in town, but she seems to know our business here, and shies away from more than a hello. Not to worry; I have a meeting with him at the bank soon, and I'll make the connection somehow."  

"Sally will be very UNpleasantly surprised to learn of, well, all of this." Davenport said with a suppressed chuckle.  

"Why, If I may be so bold to ask, do you and the others care so much about ruining this poor woman's life? She's lost her lover, found herself to be in the family way with his babe, not to mention all the other horrors she's been through. Isn't that enough?"  

"Normally, I'd be inclined to agree with you, Michael, but there's one simple fact that remains: She ran away from Bill. Pure and simple - He wants her back!"  

"What about the babe? She's too far along to," he gulped, "take care of it. What's he gonna do with a pregnant whore? And a baby?" Confounded, Michael asked, in hopes that the answer would give the poor woman some solace.  

"Simple. When she returns "home," she's Bill's until the baby is born. The child will be dropped off, probably anonymously, at the orphanage and then, sad, broken-hearted Sally will be too far gone to do anything but get back to work. But, here's the clincher: She'll be returned to Erie, where I get to claim her as my mistress. Her man, her deputy, will have to watch her whore for the rest of his life. They'll be within reach but never allowed to be together. He can visit her, if you understand my meaning, but that would be the only way. I think it's the perfect revenge."  

Michael said nothing. That was no way to treat a woman, even a whore. His girls were well cared for. They were never abused; and if one did become pregnant, she was allowed to leave for the duration of her pregnancy. They stayed with a mid-wife in his employ until the babe was delivered. True, the children were sent away to be adopted, but they were cared for until then. Michael was flabbergasted at the way Bill treated his women. No wonder Sally left.