Chapter Nine

Sally enjoyed the ride into town. She had never been to Colorado Springs, though she’d heard much about it . As they drove towards the mercantile, she noticed a man leaving the train station by foot. Odd, she thought, but he was familiar to her. Why? She wasn’t sure, but somehow she knew they had been acquainted at some point in her life, and not through Bill or his business. A frown laced her features, but she kept her thoughts to herself to keep the trip light hearted. 

Turning her eyes towards the many features of the town, she smiled and enjoyed the sunshine of the early autumn, noticing the change of the leaves and the cooler air. Her wayward thoughts took her to the idea of childbirth. Birthing during a Colorado winter wasn’t exactly what she wanted, but most couldn’t control that aspect of parenthood, so Sally smiled while absentmindedly placing her hand on her abdomen.

The wagon slowed to a stop in front of the Mercantile. Ryne smiled at Corinne. “Give me your list and I’ll hand it to Lloyd. I want you and Sally to go to Vern’s shop and pick out material for dresses.” His hand went up to Sally as she opened her mouth to protest. “Not a word, Miss Daniels. You and my wife are both worth the treat. Besides, she needs a bolt or two for baby clothes anyway, dontcha love?”

“Sure I do, if you insist, love.” She returned his bright smile with a grin of her own. “Besides, it will give us something to do after chores are finished.”

“Oh, I must fill you in on the details of our plans. Mamie, Lottie, and I want to start a dress shop. We’re all decent with a needle, and Mamie does have a foot pedal machine. I want to learn to use it. It’s so --- amazingly easy. At least, I think it is.”

“I’d love to have one. Maybe I can talk Ryne into getting me one. That would certainly make the sewing go faster. Let’s go pick out fabric. We can get started on the layette for your little one. So, do you want a boy or a girl?” They talked as they walked off.

Corinne had discussed Sally’s predicament with Ryne in the privacy of their room, with Sally’s permission. His reaction wasn’t remotely what she expected it to be. He offered support and even offered to let Sally stay with them until she delivered. She respectfully declined, but he insisted she allow them to help as much as they could. Ryne watched his wife walk across the small dirt and pebbled street before turning to go into the General Store.

“You still got it bad, Mr. Wilkinson.” Lloyd called out as Ryne opened the door, jingling the bell overhead as he walked through.

“Yes, sir, I sure do. That woman …” He shook his head, beaming. “She’s amazing.”

“Well, son, I tell ya, I thought so, and still do, about Mrs. Driscoll. How a woman like that can love a scallywag like me? I don’t know, but I thank the Good Lord every day that she does. I’d be a terrible mess without her. What can I get for ya today?”

“Oh, that lovely wife of mine made quite a list, and I have one of my own. Might I hand it to you? I have a quick errand to run and then I can come back by and pick up.” Ryne said, looking towards his in-laws house.

“That will work just fine. See you in a little while, and make sure you kiss your wife on the cheek for me, Okie doke?”

“Glad to do so, Lloyd. See you in a while.” The bell tinkled once again as he left the shop.

*****

Mary Richards had heard rumors of Matthew’s exploits previous to his death, but she didn’t believe them until she saws the gorgeous blonde at Vern’s shop, obviously expecting. She hoped, no, rather, she prayed that the woman was carrying her deceased son’s child. What a gift that would be; a chance to have a legacy continued. She hoped the woman was a good Christian lady, but considering the rumors, she knew of her past. No matter. She chose to put that piece of information to pasture, hoping to get to know the lovely woman. Her husband would not react the same way, and Mary knew this. He wouldn’t come around to the idea of a grandchild from a tryst. Though, maybe he would once the child was born. One way or another, she was overjoyed at the idea of holding her Matthew’s babe. She went out of her way to go into Vern’s shop. Hopefully the girl would be willing to speak with her.