Chapter Nineteen

“Who’s Livingstone?” Edna asked, baffled by the sudden change of events. “This man is Dexter Washington, Sally’s nefarious uncle.”

“Well, in little Erie, Colorado, he’s known as Livingstone, the very man who is trying to build a saloon and brothel.” Buddy had his hand on his holster, ready to end the miserable man’s existence at a moment’s notice.

“You haven’t figured it out yet? How else could I keep tabs on my “dear niece?” Besides, Bill and I had an arrangement.” He laughed and yanked Sally closer to his person. “It’s a shame she was orphaned at such a young age. What choice did she have? She did a fine job working for him and she‘s supposed to be there for the duration of her days.” He motioned for the whole company to move back inside, forcing Sally into a chair roughly, causing her to wince and groan in pain. Buddy moved closer, but the man’s gun was trained on Sally. "Stay where you are, Lawman. You don't want harm to come to her; you love her. So back away." Buddy stopped, but didn't back up.

“What do you mean by orphaned? What do you know of my Pa’s death? You showed up, he died, and you gave me no choice but to move west. I had an aunt who was willing to see to my well-being. Tell me!” Sally demanded.

“It was a most unfortunate accident. Shame, it was, really. It was all part of the plan to get even with him. Making his daughter a whore just made the deal sweeter. See, he and I had a business deal from our university days, but war and family life changed him. He reneged on it and told me he wasn’t interested in my sort of business. He left my house angry, climbed into his carriage, and rode away. I guess a stretch down the road the wheel fell off the buggy, sending him, his driver and his horse into the rushing river that parallels the road. It was just tragic.” Sally was up on her feet and as near to him as she could get with her hands bound and a gun trained on her.

“YOU … KILLLED … MY … PA?" She screeched. As the knowledge sunk in, she lowered her voice to a growling whisper. "I’ll get even with you! You’ll wish you’d never heard the name Sally Daniels! I will be your worst nightmare for the rest of your days! This is all your fault! The only good things that came out of it were my child, and the love of a good man.” She looked at Buddy for a swift second before training her eyes back on the evil man. “Now, untie me and let me go, or I’ll…”

“You’ll what, Sally? I’ve got a feeling you don’t pack much of a wallop in your state of being, and you’re tied up!”

Buddy, Will and Ryne, quiet like the others through this insane exchange, glanced at one another, and then drew their weapons. “But I’m not!” Ryne said quickly.

“Nor am I!” Will cocked his pistol. Buddy's low grunt accompanied the actions of the other two, and he moved himself to where he'd have a clear shot.

“I don’t think you’ll try anything, considering where my gun is aimed.” He cackled evilly at his intent, pointing it at her swollen abdomen.

“NO!” Mamie cried just before a gunshot pierced the air, taking everyone’s hearing and breath momentarily. The smoke filled the room, making visibility low. Buddy and the others rushed to Sally, praying she was unharmed.

“Are you okay, my love?” He whispered as he grew close to her slumped form on the floor of Edna Mulholland’s parlor.

“Yes. I am now. Just never let me go again.” She whispered back as he began to untie her arms.

“Who shot who?” Ryne asked in the midst of the confusion.

“I shot him!” As the smoke cleared, everyone in the room turned to see who was speaking. “I just couldn’t let him harm an innocent.” Michael Fritz, covered in blood and gunpowder, admitted. “I’ve done some despicable things in my life, but that was the lowest anyone’s ever gone.” Turning to the butler, he said, “Go fetch the sheriff.” The younger butler nodded and took off for town.