Chapter Twenty

Boulder, Colorado

The Next Day

 Bill received a message early Monday morning:

Dexter is dead. Stop. Davenport is in jail. Stop. Sally is married. Stop. I’m speaking to a solicitor. Stop.

Drawing himself up to his full height by breathing deeply, Bill had one course of action: Go back to Denver and straighten that woman out. He’d never raised a hand to his wife, but they’d lived in different cities for more years than they had ever lived together.

Then there was Sally. What to do about Miss Sally? Oh, no, it was now Mrs. Sally. What was her last name? He didn’t know and he didn’t care. This woman was beginning to grate on his nerves, and her obstinacy in returning to his Boulder meant more work for him. She was with child by that rascal of a man who died months ago. Now she’d found some poor sap to up and hitch herself to in order to escape him.

“We’ll see about that.” He scoffed, making plans in his head. His thoughts returned to Edna. His wife was speaking to a solicitor. He’d never give her a legal separation, but then again, he never thought that he would have to.  If she wanted it, it would be no skin off his nose. Let her go. He loved her, but not with any sort of permanent or forever kind that so many couple talked about or seemed to have. Theirs had been a business arrangement. The bedroom part? That had always been good enough to stay. Edna loved him, but it seemed she was suddenly tired of his lifestyle. Sure, she deserved better. Divorcing would free him up to pursue other conquests.

“She can have it.” He spoke into the air. No one was around to give him any feedback. The girls were all either entertaining a gentleman or sleeping. The saloon was quiet, too; leaving him to face his situation on his own. He needed to return to Denver today. Making his way out of the saloon, he wandered to the telegraph office, sent a short message to Edna that he was returning that evening, and then went to the train station to buy his ticket.

Edna would soon be free of him, and Sally would return to his establishment, forgetting her new husband and the life he promised. A sinister chuckle worked its way from his chest to his throat.

“No, I won’t let Sally go just yet.” He waited for the ten o’clock train, swimming in his thoughts until its arrival.

*****

Sally awoke before Buddy, who slept soundly. Her first thought was that his love was a miracle. She glanced at him and gently touched his face, moving his slight curls from his forehead. He stirred, but didn’t wake. She had slept most peacefully as well. The love of a good man did that. The child in her womb stirred, moving so much that it intensified the need to use the chamber pot.

“Goodness!” She didn’t mean to make a sound, but she did, waking Buddy.

“Are you okay, Mrs. Brand?” He asked in a gravelly voice, a devilish grin gracing his handsome face.

“Yes. The baby moved so much and kicked so hard, it made me jump. It must be a boy. I can’t imagine a girl moving so much and with such strength.” He placed his hand on her belly, and instantly the baby settled down. “How did you do that?”

“I don’t know for sure. But, I’ll be glad to do it for you any time. I’ll do anything for you anytime.” The grin was back, and the meaning was clear.

“You’re amazing, Buddy.”

“As are you, Mrs. Brand.” He cupped her face with his hand, caressing her cheek with the pad of his thumb.

“You’ve called me Sally since the day we met. Why so formal now?” She giggled.

“I like the idea that you’re my wife. I like it a lot.” He kissed her gently at first and then intensifying the embrace into a fevered pitch.