Chapter 11

The woods were cold at this time of day as I trudged through the mud and leaves to get to Connors trailer. My hair whipped around my face slightly with the wind picking up and making the trees rustle and say slightly.

I was getting more anxious as I got closer to Wickery Bridge. I mean, anyone would right? Matt really didn't want me to leave the house but after 10 more minutes of reassuring him that I needed my own space from the house, he fully understood.

When I came across the bridge, I stopped and looked out over the water.

I nearly died on this bridge.

Oh, I didn't mention that?

On the night all that time ago, when Elena and her parents drove off this bridge, I was in the car too.

The bonfire was getting rather irritating as my sister had gone off somewhere to get high, Elena had just had an argument with my brother so I went with her, to make sure she was ok.

I understood where she was coming from, my brother can be slightly overbearing sometimes and I could tell Elena was getting freaked out.

So, as I could tell she wanted someone to talk to so I hitched a ride with her and her parents. That and I was sick of babysitting my sister so I let her go off on her own.

It all happened so fast... I couldn't even remember what we were talking about before the car drove off the side and plunged into the water.

Luckily, or, unluckily for me, I forgot to buckle my seatbelt so I was thrown forward into the front of the car, leaving Elena in the back.

Since I went with such force, I managed to smash the windscreen slightly which was the reason I managed to get out. Miranda and Grayson couldn't get out because their seat belts had them trapped.

So, with all the strength I had, with some help from Grayson since he was still conscience, we managed to shatter the windscreen enough for me to squeeze through.

I tried to go back to help Elena but I couldn't get back into the car once I was out. I felt so bad for leaving her in there. When I came up for air, I shouted for help, just to see if anyone was there but in the end no one came.

Well, thats what I thought. Stefan enlightened me on how he managed to hear me from a while away which was the reason why Elena made it out. He saved her.

One thing that marvelled him was how I got out the water. See, the puny and stupid person that I am, I can't swim.

I could have sworn I had sunk back into the water after I had come up for air but I was found on the bank of the river by the deputies.

No one knew how I managed to swim out the water. Even Stefan didn't know since as soon as he pulled Elena from the car, he rushed her to the hospital and informed the police.

That was also one of the many times that my mother decided to pay a visit. She stayed for like two days then got a call from her beloved Pete and left again.

I recovered better than Elena since I wasn't staring death in the face like she did. That and the fact she lost her parents that night.

I guess I'll never know what really happened that night. I barely even talk about what happened since it was Elena's parents that died in Elena's car. It really had nothing to do with me in the end. I was just unlucky.

I stayed there for a few more moments, my eyes glazing over slightly at the memory.

Right, I needed to find Connor to see what he wanted. It was getting way too dark for my liking and I still needed to get home. I could call Stefan for a lift? But he would probably ask questions.