Five years Later

Devil

"Uncle Dev, I miss my daddy. When him coming back?" Em questioned, tugging at my shirt sleeve.

That was a question I asked myself everyday. Gab died during labor, and the baby died shortly afterwards. It was a little boy. Aug didn't take that shit well. He walked off, and hasn't called or tried to contact Em. That was five years ago. She loved me, but I knew I couldn't replace her dad. Plus, I had a bright eyed little girl of my own. Charlotte was spoiled already. Just like her mom.

"I don't know Emmy. I wish I could tell you. Uncle Dev has big people out there looking for him. Hopefully, he will call, okay" I smiled, trying to be optimistic.

Who was I kidding? I wasn't sure if Aug even wanted to be a father anymore.

"I washed Charlie face, and she sleeping. Auntie Chris called, and  said she'll be home in a few. She's bringing the crew too." she smiled, hugging me around my waist.

"I love you Em"

"I love you too Uncle Dev, you my favorite. Don't tell Uncle Scar. Him think him the favorite."

I chuckled, and watched her run, waddle, because she was bow-legged.

I sat down on the couch, and stared at my wedding picture. It was a group shot of us. I stared at everybody. Still couldn't believe somebody married Mari mean ass.  He was the real deal though. I grabbed my phone, and dialed a number. The phone picked up on the first ring.

"Hello Devil"

"How's my favorite mother in law?"

"I'm doing good, a little tired, but nothing I cannot handle" she replied, letting out a few coughs.

Chris mom health was declining slowly. Before my mom passed away, we tried to get the both of them to move in with us. Of course, neither of them were having it. We found out why my mom was pushing for grandchildren, and marriage so hard. She was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer.

"Aug still missing ma, and Em still wondering if he coming back"

"Dev, you are a strong man. There's not a thing I haven't seen you conquer. You and Chris will get through this. She loves Em as much as Charlie. Therefore, if Aug never returns....she's in great hands. Kamila raised wonderful men" she replied, coughing a little more.

I didn't want to keep her longer than I had to. I needed that feeling of my mom at the moment.

"Thanks mama. We're going to come and see you tomorrow. Chris just pulled in. We will call you later on. We love you"

"Love you too Dev"

I ended the call and threw the phone on the chair. I peeped in on Char and Em. They were both knocked out. I pulled Char away from Em so she could breath a little. She mumbled something, and scooted right back in her spot. Em was hers, and nobody could tell her differently.

"Baby, I need some help"

I chuckled, and jogged to the side door. I walked out, and Chris had an abundance of grocery, pizzas, and some other shit.

I grabbed as much as I could and took it in the house. The minions grabbed a few bags, and went inside. I told Chris to go ahead and get settled. I grabbed the last two bags- but something caught my eye. I took the groceries in, and went back outside.