One Thing Is Missing

"Kylie, I'd rather not do this on the phone. Could you meet me at Santa Monica beach? Our spot." Slash asked. His voice was gruff and sweet. The type of voice you couldn't go an hour without listening to it. But, I've gone two months.

"Sure. What time?" I lowly asked. I rubbed my temples and placed two fingers on the bridge of my nose.

"Is 6 o'clock okay?" I looked at the clock on the wall. It's 4:00.

"Yeah. I'll be there." I muttered before I hung up.

*****
I pulled into the parking lot of the pier, strategically parking where I was with Slash, at one point.

I turned off the engine and looked around, trying to find a black mass of hair with olive colored skin. I swore under my breath when I realized he was nowhere to be seen.

I sighed and got out of the car. I jumped onto the hood of the car and pulled out my carton of cancer sticks. I slipped it between my lips and lit it with the lighter that I permanently kept in my bra.

"Hey, Kylie." His voice sounded next to me, making me jump a tiny bit. I exhaled the smoke and looked over to him. He was wearing an Aerosmith tshirt with black jeans. His hair was pulled back and he had aviators over his eyes.

"Hi." I whispered, flicking off the ashes of my cigarette. He came over and sat next to me on the hood of my car. We sat there in silence, looking at the beach and ocean.

"Kylie, I'm so sorry." He sincerely apologized. I look over at him, he took off his sunglasses and put them on top of his head. I nodded with a slight smile.

"Thank you." I whispered. He smiled and mlooked back to the ocean. He knew I didn't have to apologize, I did nothing wrong.

"How've you been. Duff and Steven have told me that your working on your debut album."

"I've been great. But yeah, it's coming out in a few months." I babbled. I ran my fingers through my hair and stomped out the cigarette. Another moment of silence took over us.

"Slash I-"

"Can we... start over?" He interrupted. My breathing hitched and my eyes flickered in between the beach and him. "Kylie, I know what I did was a mistake. You've been sneaking into my mind everyday. I can't even concentrate when I play sometimes. There's nothing more that I need than you. I love you so much. I just hope you see that."

My heart stopped beating, a lump was forming in my throat, my hands froze, and tears were slowly making their way to my eyes.

"I..I'm....uh speechless." I coughed a little, with a tiny chuckle at the end. I brought a finger to my eye to wipe a tear threatening to escape. "It's all coming back so quick. But, I'll give you one last chance." I muttered. Slash snapped his head into my direction with a wide smile.

"Really?" His bright teeth were shining in the sunset light. I smiled back.

"Yes." I chuckled. He pulled me into a hug. That hug that I've been dying for.

*****
The whole band including our producer, Mike Clink was sitting in the studio, mixing and seeing if everything was right. There was something, something missing. It was sitting on the tip of my tongue. I didn't know what it was, but it was screaming change.

"How does it sound, guys?" He happily smiled. I placed my hand on my chin and shook my head.

"There needs to be something." I muttered. I scratched my head, trying to get it out.

"Yeah. I can feel it." Andy sighed rubbing his head. Thank god someone gets it.

"What do you guys have in mind?" Mike asked, leaning back in his chair. I mimicked his movements.

"I feel like it needs to be something, personal." I muttered, frustrated. "Just let me work. I'll get this together. Be here tomorrow at noon." I yelled as I ran out of the studio and to my car.

*****
It was 3 am, I locked myself in my room, and was working like crazy. But, the lyrics weren't coming through. I slammed my head on the desktop and groaned.

"When you get stressed, listen to this, and watch all of your problems wash away." Mom's sweet voice echoed through my ears. I stood up and grabbed the record that ran through the Peters family. It came from my Grandma Ruth. She got a hold of the record from Dock Boggs. O' Death played through the speakers of the turntable and I laid down, concentrating.

Lightbulb

*****
"Kylie, please tell me that you have this." Evan cried out as I entered the door. Mike sat in his usual spot, Roslyn was lazily plucking on her Les Paul acoustic, and Andy was reading the newspaper.

"I have it. Don't worry." I happily cheered. We crowded into the recording room.

"So, it's gonna be a dark song. It's a cover, it's different." I explained. I handed everyone their sheet music and made my way to the mic.

"Wait? I'm singing in this?" Roslyn groaned.

"There's barely any bass!"

"What are these drumming patterns?!" I rolled my eyes and groaned.

"GUYS! Just go with it. I called a friend from Oklahoma, her name is Elle, she's a talented violinist. She's booked a plane, and she's on her way to play her part." I explained. Everyone ceased from talking and began to mind their own business.

"Okay. Take one." Mike spoke into the mic. I took a deep breath in and sang alone.

"O death" I sang sweetly, but darkly.

"O death." Roslyn mimicked, but in a lower, and darker tone.

"O death
Won't you spare me over till another year." The first chord started and the music began, giving an orchestral and epic feel.

"Well what is this, that I can't see, with ice cold hands taking hold of me.
When God is gone and the devil takes hold, who'll have mercy on my soul
O death, O death consider my age. Please don't take me at this stage.

O death
O death
Won't you spare me over till another year." A moment of silence over took us then it began again with the second verse.

"Well I am Death, none can excel
I'll open the door to Heaven or Hell
No wealth, no land, no silver, no gold
Nothing satisfies me but your soul
I'm Death I come to take the soul
Leave the body and leave it cold

O death
O death
Won't you spare me over till another year." The song finished, and the feeling of completion came over me.

"Is this what you worked on all night? Why you locked yourself in your room? Why I heard a banjo playing verbatim at 3 in the morning?" Roslyn asked, taking the guitar off her shoulders and into her hand. I nodded, hoping they'd approve.

"I didn't know you knew musical theory..." Andy muttered, mesmerized.

"I can't believe you came up with the the music from old banjo music." Evan mimicked Andy's tone.

"So it's a yes?" I hoped, with my finger and toes crossed.

Evan shook his head no, making my heart drop.

"Yes." He spoke with a smug smirk, still shaking his head. I breathed out, full of relief.

"Okay guys! That's a wrap!"

A/N- so I had to use this song. Oh god Until Dawn is seriously my newest obsession right now! The song is O Death, but I can't remember who's singing (sorry!)

Also, I want to thank EVERYONE for the awesome and positive feedback! If it weren't for you guys, I wouldn't be updating. So thank you all SO MUCH!