Moment on the Other Side

"Okay. Are you guys ready for your first show on tour?" Paul smiled as he entered the the dressing room. I turned around from the vanity to face him.

"Fuck yeah!" Evan cheered. He grabbed the bottle of whiskey next to me and chugged it.

"Okay. Y'all are on in fifteen." Paul gave us a thumbs up and exited the room.

"Fuck man. This is fucking trippy." Ryan muttered from the leather couch behind me.

"How so?" Andy asked, shooting him a confused stare.

"Well, a month ago I was stuck in Sheffield, now I'm playing guitar with a popular band. It's just crazy how quickly things can change." He muttered. I stopped blending my eyeshadow and thought about what Ryan just said.

"It's just crazy how quickly things can change." It echoed throughout my head.

"Ain't that the truth." I whispered. I remembered how quickly events have come and go throughout my life.

*****
"I'm outta luck..." Evan started

"...Outta love. Gotta photograph..." Andy carried on as he danced.

"...Picture of. Passion killer..." Ryan pointed to me.

"...You're too much! You're the only one..."

"...I wanna touch!" We yelled in unison. "I see your face every time I dream! On every page, every magazine! So wild and free, so far from me! You're all I want! MY FANTASY!" We yelled.

"Oh! Look what you've done to this rock n roll clown!" Ryan sang. He pointed to Evan.

"Oh! Look what you've done!" Evan belted.

"Photograph! I don't want your..." Andy pointed to me, which I gladly responded with...

"Photograph! I don't need your photograph!" We stopped our new ritual and began to laugh.

"And here they are! All the way from the streets of Los Angeles! Ashes of Angst!" Tom, our tour manager, screamed into the mic. The lights dimmed and we sprinted out on to the stage.

Almost immediately, Andy started up the drum beat, where everyone started clapping along and banged their heads. Ryan strung the shit out of the guitar before I began to sing the first song I ever wrote.

*****
It was an hour and a half into the concert and it was time to wrap it up. But, not until we pay tribute to Roslyn.

"So, as some of you might've heard, we recently lost our original guitarist, Roslyn Cavender in April. So this is one song, I want to dedicate to her. This is called Body Electric." The audience clapped and the lights dimmed down, and a dark blue light illuminated the stage.

"Elvis is my daddy
Marilyn's my mother
Jesus is my bestest friend.
We don't need nobody 'cause we got each other. Or at least I pretend.

We get down every Friday night
Dancin' and grindin' in the pale moonlight
Grand Ole Opry, we're feelin' alright
Mary prays the rosary for my broken mind." The audience was looking up at me like I was a ghost. Some seemed mesmerized, some seemed sad, some even sang along quietly.

"I sing the body electric
I sing the body electric, baby
Sing that body electric
I'm on fire, sing that body electric.

Whitman is my daddy, Monaco's my mother,
Diamonds are my bestest friend.
Heaven is my baby, suicide's her father,
Opulence is the end.

We get down every Friday night,
Dancin' and grindin' in the pale moonlight.
Grand Ole Opry, we're feelin' alright,
Mary prays the rosary for my broken mind."

I sang the chorus again. I swayed to the music as I kept my eyes closed, becoming one with the music and audience. I felt a brush of cold air behind me, and brush the surface of my hand. My eyes shot open and I saw the red fiery hair and her eyes. They were tired, but they were definitely hers.

"My clothes still smell like you,
And all the photographs say you're still young.
I pretend I'm not hurt
And go about the world like I'm havin' fun.

We get crazy every Friday night,
Drop it like it's hot in the pale moonlight.
Grand Ole Opry, feelin' all right
Mary's swayin' softly to her heart's delight.

I sing the body electric,
I sing the body electric, baby.
Sing that body electric,
I'm on fire,
Sing that body electric.
I sing the body electric, baby.
I sing the body electric, baby."

The song finished and I took a deep breath in. Roslyn was still there. Smiling at me.

"Thank you." She mouthed. I blinked and she disappeared. I rubbed my eyes, making sure it was real.

"Phoenix! You've been great to us! We'll be back next tour!" I yelled into the mic after I was brought back out of my trance. Ryan, Evan, and Andy came up next to me, preparing to bow.

*****
"No, babe, I swear to you! She was right there." I pressed. I was laying in the hotel bed. My hair was in a towel, my face was clean of any makeup, and instead of leather clothes, I traded them in for a pair sweatpants and a baggy KISS shirt.

"Kylie, I'm sure it was your eyes playing tricks." Slash tried to convince me. I wasn't going to budge. SHE WAS RIGHT THERE.

"Oh my god. Slash, she was there! She even talked to me!" I shouted out, beginning to get annoyed.

"Oh really? What'd she say?" I could see him crossing his arms and waiting to a convincing answer.

"She said 'Thank you.'!" I matter-of-factly stated.

"Hm. Then somehow she just disappeared?" He unconvincingly asked.

"I swear!" I pleaded.

"Why would she say 'Thank you'? Because you dedicated a song to her?" He scoffed out.

"Yep!" I yelled. I heard a knock on my door. "Hang on." I groaned. I skipped to the door and looked out of the peephole. It was Evan.

"What do you need?" I asked as I opened the heavy door.

"I'm hearing yelling? Is everything okay?" He asked, looking around to make sure I'm alone.

"I'm fine. I'm just on the phone with Slash." I answered. I looked across the hallway and saw a blonde, sitting on his bed in only her bra and her extremely tiny skirt. "You should get back to your blonde. She seems like she needs your attention." I pointed. She looked up and back down to her nails.

"Right. Okay. Goodnight Kylie." He muttered before going back to his room.

"Okay. I'm back." I muttered into the phone.

"Was it Roslyn talking to you again?" He teased. My mouth hung open.

"Wow. Okay." I gasped out.