Are We Really That Popular?

May 7th 1988

"Uh, hi. I'm Ryan. I'm here to audition?" A guy with teased brown curly hair walked in. He was carrying a Gibson electric guitar. I noticed his British accent too.

"Okay. I'm Kylie, that's Evan and Andy. So the way this is gonna go is that we're gonna sing our song Boys Wanna Be Her. If you could just play along, that'd be great." I smiled. I and's my way over to the mic and turned it on.

"1...2...3" Andy called out. The beat started. I turned my head to make sure this kid knows what he's doing. He held his guitar low, and strummed every lick, and chord perfectly clear.

The song finished and he stood there, full of hope.

"How old are you, Ryan?" I asked, grabbing a cigarette and placing it between my lips.

"I just turned 20 in March." He sweetly answered. I lit the cigarette and looked to Andy and Evan.

"Are you new around here?" I took a drag on the cig.

"I'm sorry?" His eyebrows furrowed.

"She's asking if you just moved here to Los Angeles." Andy cleared up, in a rather stern tone.

"Uh, yeah. I just moved here from Sheffield England. I just moved in a few days ago." He answered. I looked around again. Trying to see Evan and Andy's reaction to this Ryan. They seemed open to it.

"You're just in time, Ryan. Our album comes out next week. That means a tour. A headlining tour. You're about to make big money." I explained. Ryan's eyes widened and he covered his mouth in excitement. "Don't get all excited yet. We still have to bring you into the record label and see if they approve." I held up my finger, making him slow down.

*****
June 21st 1988

"Kylie, wake up. Your bus is here." Slash whispered in my ear. I stirred awake and opened my eyes to see Slash.

"Ah fuck." I yawned. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"C'mon, Kylie! We don't have all day!" Evan yelled from outside. I got out of the bed and grabbed my suitcase.

"Do I get a goodbye?" Slash pouted. I giggled and turned around to face him.

"Hmmmm. Yes." I smiled. I put my arms around his shoulders and kissed him softly, but passionately.

"Promise me, you'll visit." I murmured against his lips.

"I promise you." He laughed before he kissed me again. I heard the bus honk again from outside.

"Okay babe. I gotta go." I kissed him again and grabbed my suitcase.

"I'll call you when I get to the hotel!" I called as I ran down the stairs to the door.

"It's about time!" Andy groaned. I laughed and put my suitcase into the compartment underneath.

I climbed onto the bus and was greeted by Paul, Evan, Ryan, Andy and our bus driver named Rocko.

"Okay! First stop is Phoenix!" Rocko shouted from the front. I sat down at the kitchenette and looked at the schedule that was taped to the wall.

6/22- Phoenix AZ
6/23- Denver CO
6/25- Boise ID
6/26- Portland OR
6/27- Seattle WA
6/28- Seattle WA
6/30- Minneapolis MN
7/1- Milwaukee WI
7/2- Chicago IL
7/3- Chicago IL
7/5- Atlanta GA
7/6- Philadelphia PA
7/8- New York City NY
7/9- New York City NY
7/10- New York City NY
7/15- Boston MA
7/16- Miami FL
7/17- Orlando FL
7/20- Dallas TX
7/21- Houston TX
7/22- Tulsa OK

Wait, what? Tulsa? That's an hour and a half away from my hometown. My breath hitched and I looked down to my hands. I haven't talked to my mom since my breakup with Nikki in '86. Would she still come?

"Oi, Kylie? What's wrong, love?" Ryan spoke. He fell into the chair in front of me and looked at me carefully.

"Nothing's wrong." I muttered, running my hand through my hair.

"Nah, there's something wrong." Ryan spoke in his British accent as he lit a cigarette.

"Is it because we're going to Portland? I me-"

"No, Ryan. It's not because we're gong to Portland." I shouted while I closed my eyes in annoyance.

"Chill out, just trying to help." He held up his hands in defense and stood up to leave.

*****
I entered the venue and my jaw dropped.

"Paul, are we seriously this popular in the country?" Evan muttered as he looked around the large theater. It had to seat at least 3,500 people.

"Yeah! Didn't you know?" Paul asked while he stepped onto the dimly lit stage. I shook my head.

"No! I thought we were only popular in LA." I smiled.

"Well, chop chop! You guys still need to put a setlist together for the tour." Paul clapped his hands together and handed us a pad of paper that sat on top of one of the amps.

"Okay. I suggest we start off with the classic...Barracuda." Evan cheekily started. I held my fingers to the bridge of my nose.

"Evan. How many times do we have to tell you that Barracuda is out?" I groaned.

"Oh c'mon Kylie! It's been almost a ye-."

"Evan. For fucks sake, we're not doing Barracuda." Ryan patted Evan's shoulder. "Give it a rest, mate." He sighed sympathetically.

"It's such a good song." Evan muttered, defeated.

A/N- I'm so sorry for a short chapter and for being late on updating! I'm crazily busy with my classes and everything and I'm trying my hardest to get these chapters out to you guys! So please bare with me for these next few chapters as I get used to my classes and the amount of work that goes along with it!