Goodbye, Dear Friend

A/N- Please read this!!
So I'm using the song Alibi by Thirty Seconds to Mars for this chapter! I know it doesn't work on Wattpad! So if you could play this on YouTube or something I'd appreciate it a lot! It really brings out the emotion of the situation and really brings it to life!

April 19th
"On April 17th 1988 at 1:52 am Roslyn Ann Cavender (21) was pronounced dead from a drug overdose. She was found in the bathtub of the apartment she shared with her best friend Kylie Peters (22).

She was born on August 6th 1966. Roslyn was the guitarist for the LA based band Ashes of Angst. Her band mates were Andy Blu (24), Evan Grant (21) and Kylie Peters. She moved to Los Angeles from Portland Oregon when she was 17. She is survived by her mother, Alice Cavender (52) and her brother Jackson Cavender (15) who live in Portland OR.

Her service will be on April 22nd 1988 at 11:00 am."

It was silent. Dead silent. Music was painful to listen to. Walking past the bathroom or her bedroom was excruciating. But, I couldn't get myself out of her bed. The blankets and pillows still had strands of red hair, embedded in the fabric of the bed.

Her flowery perfume was faint. Every now and then it would get stronger then fade away. It was like she was still running around, dancing and singing out of key to the soundtrack for Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Her several guitars littered the bedroom. Her old acoustic sat in the corner, scratches and paint was chipping off. Her more expensive guitars were sitting in their cases in her closet.

I didn't know what to do. Was Ashes of Angst over? It's a 4 piece band. I can't learn her riffs and solos. The only thing I could resort to was finding a new guitarist.

"Kylie?" I raised my head a fraction of an inch.

"Yeah?" I whispered. I don't know how anyone could hear me, but they did.

Duff came down the hallway and stopped in the doorway of the bedroom. I put my head back down, sighed, and pulled a weak and sad smile.

"Hi." I whispered. I scooted over, knowing he'd come over and lay with me.

"You look terrible." He lightly put. He slowly walked over and laid down next to me. I put my head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around me, comforting me.

"I haven't left the place since my party." I muttered. I closed my eyes and began to enjoy the time with my best friend.

"Are you speaking at the service?" He asked. I nodded slowly.

"I was hoping you and Slash could be next to me, just in case it becomes too much?" Duff took my hand and rubbed it with his thumb.

"Of course, Kylie. We'll always be right there."

*****
April 22nd 11 am.

I arrived with Slash. We were both clad in black. I was wearing a black Stevie Nicks inspired dress that Roslyn and I bought when we went shopping when I first came to LA. I haven't worn it yet, so on that day, I thought it would be best to wear it for her.

Slash had on black dress pants, with a black dress shirt that was buttoned halfway. His hair was as messy as usual, but with no top hat, no aviators. Just plain ol', real Slash.

Her casket was open. There she laid. Her face was pale, and lifeless. Her hair wasn't as fiery as always. It was dull, and lifeless. Her hands were at her sides and she was wearing the outfit we provided. A white tshirt, and leather pants. We knew that she would want it like that.

"I love you, Roslyn." I whispered as I slid on her friendship bracelet that was identical to mine, and a picture of us performing. I had the exact picture back home. It was now framed, sitting on the coffee table.

I turned around and saw Steven sitting in the front row. His eyes were on the floor and his hands were in his lap.

"Hi Steven." I whispered. His eyes darted up to meet mine quickly. They were tired, and puffy. He stood up and hugged me tightly. I felt warm tears trail into my neck and down my shoulders. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders, and began rubbing his back in circular motions.

"It's okay. It's not your fault." I whispered.

"If I didn't say what I said, this wouldn't be happening." He sobbed. I continued to hold him.

"Steven, no. This isn't your fault. She's in a better place. Just think about it. She's up there, probably jamming with John Bonham, dropping LSD with Jim Morrison, and talking about peace and writing poetry with John Lennon." I comforted. He sighed and pulled away.

"Thank you, Kylie. For always being there, for me and her. I couldn't thank you enough." He cried again. I pulled him into another hug.

"I'll always be right here for you." I sweetly consoled. The service was about to begin so I brought Steven over with the rest of Guns and Ashes.

"Today, we're here to celebrate the life of Roslyn Ann Cavender, who was taken too quickly from us..." The priest began. I heard the door open and close. Heels clicked against the floor, making my head turn. It was an older woman with a young boy with her. Roslyn's mom and brother.

"We have Kylie, Roslyn's best friend to talk about Roslyn." My breath hitched. Slash and Duff grabbed both of my hands and helped me up to the podium. I took a deep breath, and blinked away the tears.

"When I met Roslyn, her hair was black. She was just starting out in Los Angeles too. It turned out that we were here for the same reason. So we just said 'Hey, let's form a band.'...uh...she was always so colorful. She always brought me out of my comfort zone. Weather it would be going to a different part of town, a new style, or a new song. She was always up for something new. That's why she was my best friend." My breath became shaky when I read the last part of the speech.

"Um...Roslyn was always there for me. She always knew what to do if I couldn't write a song, or if we were lost, or if I was going through a bad breakup. She was always there, helping me become myself again. Roslyn, you're my favorite guitarist, you were my roommate, you're my best friend- a sister. I love you so much and I'll see you again. I promise." I wiped the tears forming and Slash squeezed my hand as Duff wrapped an arm around my waist, guiding me down to my seat.

*****
I placed the last rose on the casket before they began burying my sister. I cried into Slash's shoulder as he held me tightly to him.

"Uh, Kylie?" A woman's voice cracked. I pulled off of Slash to see who was talking. It was Roslyn's mother, Alice.

"Oh, uh hi." I weakly smiled. Her mother held a cold face, as did her brother.

"I just want to thank you. For what you said about my daughter. That takes a lot." She nodded. I nodded back and thanked her. She walked off with Jackson, taking one last look at her daughter's casket.

"Let's go home, babe." Slash whispered in my ear. I nodded and took his hand.