Chapter 8

Lux Halloway's point of view. .

His eyes fluttered slightly then shut tightly, a painful groan escaping his lips as he buried his head deeper into the plush pillow. He pulled the comforter over his head, disappearing into the darkness.

"I feel like my head is about to explode." He whined, his groggy voice muffled through the material. His fingertips curled around the top of the comforter, pulling it down and revealing his pained face.

"I'm not surprised." I mumbled, threading my fingers through the tangled locks of my hair mane and pulling it into a ponytail. Jake narrowed his eyes at me, somehow hoping that would help with the splitting headache.

"What's up with you?" He asked, clearing his throat.

"Oh nothing, I just had my drunken ass boyfriend embarrass me last night, but you know, it's not a big deal." I spat in sarcasm, snatching my cell from the nightstand and quickly checking the time. "there's advil in the bathroom cabinet."

I turned on my heel, ready to leave him and his hungover mess until he called. "Where you going now?"

"To the surrogate appointment." I grumbled, "I'll be back later."

"Wait, Lux!" He yelled then winced at the loudness of his own voice. "babe, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I was stressed about the whole opening then Rick Jefferson offered to help me get another restaurant open in Soho. You know how much I want to open up another restaurant, this time alone. This is my big break!"

"That isn't an excuse to get absolutely wasted and to blank me the entire night." I told him, "do you know how embarrassing it was sitting alone whilst my boyfriend had a good time with snobby-rich people I have never met, how embarrassing it was to see Marcus, who owns the restaurant, spoil his wife with attention and my boyfriend can't even get me a drink?"

"You can't drink." he answered bluntly.

"I can drink water, I can drink soda's! It doesn't need to revolve around alcohol, Jake!" I exclaimed, flailing my arms in the air. "It was Marcus's night, he wasn't a bit stressed and he still was able to sit with his family and manage to mingle with others too. You don't have any involvement in the place and you couldn't even look at me!"

"Of course I looked at you! You were sitting at my table, I could hardly ignore you."

His snappy answer made my anger bubble. "You still blanked me even when we were sitting together! You didn't ask if I needed a drink or if I was okay. But Justin Did." I paused. "Justin was the one who brought me a glass of water, Justin was the one who sat with me for the whole night and kept me company. Justin was the one who helped me drag your drunken ass up here."

He rolled his eyes, "Of course he had to be mentioned."

"Of course he had to be mentioned because unlike you, he cared about me last night!" I yelled. Breathing out heavily, I willed myself to calm down. "I don't have time for this, I've got an appointment at the clinic. I might see you later, or I might not."

As I nearer the door, harshly pulling it open, I could hear his frustrated groan drift from the bedroom.

* * *

"Miss Halloway, nice of you to finally join us." Maria Kemp sneered with an un-impressed tone coating her words. Holding back an eyeroll, I shut the door and walked closer to the smartly dressed woman and adoring couple.

"Sorry." I muttered, sitting down on the spare chair. Hayley reached out and rubbed my arm, a small smile planted on her bare lips.

"Are you okay?"