Chapter 21

Lux Halloway's point of view. .

"Eight, nine, eleven, twelve–" Ali, a cute blonde hair and blue eyed little girl, counted with a mistake. Her thin lips formed in a oval before she giggled wildly. "I mean ten! Ten, eleven, twelve"

I laughed lightly, "Very good, Ali and very good for correcting your mistake." I placed the gold sticker on the corner of her barbie covered book. She happy danced in her face, her adorable features lighting in happiness. "now, can you all practise writing the numbers down while I make a quick call?"

With a few mumbles, they grasped their pencils and started neatly writing down recent numbers I learned them all week. I waddled back to my desk, grasping the school phone and dialing Ms. Hapton– Gregory's mother. With a hand over my stomach and my aching back melting onto the comfortable cushioned back, I awaited hearing the chirpy voice from the mother of four.

"H–hello?" The sniffed answered.

"Hello, is this Ms. Hapton?"

"Y–yes, this is she." She sniffled again. "may I ask who is calling?"

"Hi, this is Miss. Halloway at Strathern Kindergarten. I was just calling to see if young Gregory is okay, he hasn't attended school today and that is very unlike him." I said politely.

"Oh, good afternoon Lux." Ms Hapton sniffed. "I was meaning to call and inform you that Gregory won't be in school this week. We–we received some sad news today." I could hear her breathing grow ragged. "my eldest son was shot dead in Afghanistan this morning."

My swollen heart stopped and sunk to the pit of my stomach. "Oh Ms Hapton, I am so so sorry." I could feel my eyes fill with tears at the mere thought of what pain she and her family were going through.

"It was sudden, he was suppose to return home tomorrow." She cried, "I broke the news to Gregory this morning, I couldn't sent him into school after that. I hope you understand, dear."

"Ms Hapton, you do not need to even worry about that. I understand and I am deeply, deeply sorry about your loss. I'll inform the principle, keep Gregory off for as long as you and he needs." I said with a wobbling bottom lip. "My deepest sympathise are with you and your family."

"Thank you dear, I must get going. We have family coming into town in a few moments." She sniffed, "thank you for your concern about Greg' though."

"Certainly, Ms. Hapton. And again, I'm sorry for your loss."

As I ended the call with a shattered heart, I pulled my gaze to the colourful picture wall and focused on the centre picture- the stick man with a green and brown uniform, a red crayon smile and piercing blue eyes, he stood on the grassy field with clear blue sky's and bright yellow sun, and there in scribbled handwriting was the words "my big brother" laying in a crooked line.

"Miss. Halloway?" A soft murmur came from knee level. Tearing my teary gaze away, I peered down at little Timothy. "Miss. Halloway, why are you crying?"

I brushed the back of my hand across my stained cheeks, sniffling and swallowing the rising lump that clogged the back of my throat. "Miss. Halloway just got some sad news. Actually, class, can you put your pencils down and turn your attention to me for a moment?" Timothy scurried back to his seat, sharing a faint whisper to Sammy, the young boy who sat next to him.

"Miss. Halloway, are you okay?" A voice from Abigail spoke.

"Miss. Halloway has just received some sad news." I informed them, "you know how you guys asked where Gregory was today? Well I rang his mommy and unfortunately, Gregory mightn't be in for a few more days."