Chapter 9

Lux Halloway's point of view. .

"Gregory, who's that?" I asked, pointing at the stick figure the young brown haired boy drew as I peered over his shoulder. He continued to colour with the shredded, brown crayons before he looked up to me with his bright green eyes.

"That's my big brother!" He proudly stated, "he's a soldier."

My heart warmed, "He is?"

"Uh-huh, momma said he's coming home in one more week!" He grinned excitedly, "I'm gonna' give him this when he comes home."

I rubbed his back softly, "I'm sure he'll love it. You're doing a good job."

"Thanks Miss Halloway!" He grinned, grabbing the green crayon and scribbling it across the stick man's uniform. I walked around the room with my arms crossed and a soft smile on my face as I peered down at the children who coloured in their pictures.

I could hear the message tone ding from my desk, causing my attention to draw to my bag. Peaking around and noticing no child lifted their head, I walked quickly to my desk and grabbed my cell.

From: Justin Bieber (at: 11:23am)
Can I call you? xx

To: Justin Bieber (at: 11:23am)
I'm in class, call at 11:30 and I can talk then x

Not a second over eleven-thirty, my phone rang as I kicked open the staff room door. Balancing the overflowing folder, my unzipped handbag that was filled to the brim with unnecessary things, I flicked my finger across the screen and held the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey, am I calling at a bad time?" He asked obviously hearing my grunt of annoyance.

"No," I huffed, throwing the folder and bag onto the chair. My almost-dead arm tingled at the weight being lifted. "did you want me for something?"

"Oh right, yeah." He mumbled, "I just wanted to see if you're still up to making dinner tonight, we can always just go to a restaurant."

Flicking the kettle switch, I listened as the water began to bubble. Kicking of my shoes and sitting on the surprisingly comfortable chair, I held back a moan of delight.

"Yes it's fine." I told him, "I wouldn't make promises if I wasn't going to keep it. I was going to ring you after I finish work to ask what your family likes to eat? Are any of them vegetarians or vegans or allergic to anything?"

"None." he answered, "they'll like whatever you make."

"That narrows my choices down." I mumbled,

He laughed, "This is why I want to take you all to a restaurant instead of getting you stressed out."

"I want to make a good impression on them and if that means slaving in the kitchen from when I get out of work until you all get to my apartment, then so be it." I said, pouring the scalding water into the pink and white spotty mug labelled 'LUX'S PROPERTY'. "is there anything you particularly want me to make?"

"Whatever you want, you don't need to slave to cook something you don't even like."

Wincing as the tip of my tongue dipped into the scalding liquid, "Well I'll rustle something up."

"Would Jake help you?" he asked,

"Why would he?"

"Because you're pregnant and you can't risk getting stressed." He plainly answered. "or I can come over, or Hayley. We don't mind."