Chapter 3 - Miss Laines Class

Waking up the next morning, Holly instantly knew that it was going to be a bad day. Her head ached and her mined raced, thinking of anything and anything bad that had ever happened to her. She wasn't a stranger to feelings like this, but for a while she'd done a good job of blocking them out and pretending nothing had ever happened.

She got up and showered quickly, scraping her hair back into a ponytail and throwing on a pair of jeans and a grey hoodie. Deciding against any breakfast, she grabbed her bag and headed out of the door. She sat on the wall outside of her apartment and checked the time on her phone, it was 8:27 - which meant that Elliot would be there to pick her up at any moment. The sun beamed down on her and she felt her face heating up. Wearing a hoodie was probably going to be a bad idea, especially as she'd decided not to wear a t-shirt underneath. She loved warm days because they usually helped to cheer her up. Hearing a car coming towards her, she stuffed her phone into her pocket and jumped off the wall. It was Elliot. He stopped suddenly outside of her apartment and he had his arm on the passenger seat.

"Get in!" he called.

"Wow! This car is amazing!" She shouted over the noise of the engine. Opening the door and jumping in quickly, he hardly gave her time to shut the door before he set off.

He was driving a matt black Porsche Boxter S Type with a cream leather interior.

"How the hell did you afford this?!"

"My parents are lawyers. My dad doesn't know I'm driving it because hes out of town but my mom swore not to tell him."

They listened to the radio on full blast which earned both of them quite a few stares as they entered onto the school campus. He found a parking space and pulled in.

"So, what lesson you got first?"

"Umm, give me one sec." Holly replied, pulling her timetable from the side pocket of her bag.

"I have Music first, then I have Chemistry."

"You excited? We've got your girlfriend 3rd period, remember."

"Shut up Elliot!" She groaned, punching him in his side. "She's not my girlfriend!"

"You wish though." He retorted with a smile on his face.

Rolling her eyes, she smirked slightly. "Ill see you 3rd!" She called, making her way towards the school building.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't long before the end of break had arrived and she found herself making her way to Miss Laines class, with Elliot by her side. She was excited but had a slight nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach. Her teacher was kind of intimidating. Elliot entered the class first and Holly followed close behind. She had to walk past her desk to get to her seat, so she tried her hardest not to look in her direction. Once they'd both taken their seats and got their books sorted, she looked towards the class to see that Miss Laine was staring in their direction. She wasn't smiling, in fact her face was totally blank... That's when Holly realised she was daydreaming. Chuckling to herself, she turned to look at Elliot and nudged him to get his attention. After realising what was going on, he bent down like he was getting some books from his bag and whistled loudly, startling her.

"Oh..good morning class, please take your seats."

After taking the register, she gave everyone a book and a paper on 'The Reversal of Self Denial' and told everyone that they were free to chat amongst themselves, as long as they completed the task. Holly found it hard to focus on the work because she knew that Miss Laine was sat no more than 15 feet away from her at the front of the class. It seemed like no longer than 10 minutes later when the bell rang, and she realised she'd spent the entire lesson daydreaming rather than doing her work. She looked down at the paper and realised that almost all of it was still blank, apart from her name and the date.
They both packed up their stuff and Elliot knew something wasn't right with Holly, she'd hardly spoken a word during the whole class.

"You alright?"

"I'm gonna be in so much shit! I haven't even made a start on the pap-"

"Holly, is it? Can you stay behind after class please? I need to discuss something with you."

Shit.

"Good luck."  Elliott whispered, patting her on the back.

She sheepishly made her way to the front keeping her eyes firmly on the ground. What the fuck was happening to her? She never got nervous!

"Take a seat please."

Holly sat down on the chair in front her desk, and Miss Laine sat on the opposite side.

"You haven't done your paper, I noticed you staring into space all lesson."

"I..I'm sorry I just..I wasn't feeling too well." She thought quickly, her words stuttering from her mouth.

"Hey, look at me when you talk. Don't be shy in front of me."

She looked up, blinking back the tears that were threatening to leave her eyes and roll down her cheeks. Miss Laine hadn't even said anything that would upset her, but it just seemed to be one of those days and things hadn't gotten any better.

"I'm sorry, I really am. It won't happen again."

"Well, I hope not. I don't want to do this, especially with it only being a couple of days into your new term, but I have to give you detention. I can't do lunch so it'll have to be after school is over. You know where to find me, so I expect that you'll be here when the final bell rings."

"Okay."

She got up and headed out of the door and into the hallway that was now streaming with other students. She hated detentions, but she had a feeling that this was probably going to be a good one.