Chapter 15 - Vital Signs

Sitting at her bedside, Elliot couldn't bring himself to look at Holly. He was too ashamed. He didn't think it was fair that she was lying there, and all he'd suffered was a broken foot and some cuts and bruises.

"This isn't fair." he spoke, shaking his head.

"What do you mean?" Miss Laine questioned, raising her eyebrow.

"This. She's lying in that bed and I get to sit here with a stupid broken foot. I was the one that didn't have my eyes on the road. I should be in the bed, not her. She doesn't deserve this."

"But you don't deserve this either, Elliot. Things like this happen all the time, accidents happen all the time. It's just one of those things."

"But what happens if she doesn't wake up? I'll have to live with that for the rest of my life. And I don't think that I can do that."

"Don't think like that, okay. She will wake up Elliott." She sighed and put her head in her hands. "She has to."  

Elliot was shocked and confused at this whole thing that was going on between Miss Laine and Holly. He knew it was wrong, and if it was anyone else then he probably would've told someone. But he could tell how much Miss Laine cared about his best friend, and he wasn't about to take that away from her.

"You really care about her, don't you?" Elliot questioned, putting his crutches on the floor as he sat back in his chair.

"So, so much." he heard her speak softly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next 2 weeks dragged by slower than you could ever have imagined. Elliott had gotten out of hospital and both him and Allison made the time to visit Holly each night, even though she had no idea that either of them were there. Each time, they prayed desperately that she would wake up, but her vital signs were slowly deteriorating and all hope of her waking up was beginning to slip away. The doctors kept her on life support and checked on her regularly but other than that, there was nothing else that they could do.

All we could do was wait.

Wait.

Such a funny word. We spend our whole lives waiting for things. Allison couldn't wait to leave her town when she was younger, she waited to get into a job she loved, she waited until she found the one that she loved. And now here she was, waiting to see if the one that she loved would ever wake up and breathe on her own again.

It was Friday, December 2nd and Christmas was getting closer. The hospital had been decorated with Christmas Tree's and lights to try and cheer the patients up. Allison had remembered Holly talking about how much she loved Christmas.

When Allison visited that day, she was greeted by a stranger sat by Holly's bedside. He was sat down but she could tell that he was quite tall, and he had thick dark hair.

"Can I help you?" A strong British accent similar to Holly's echoed around the room.

"I'm Holly's psychology teacher...the school knows about her moving here on her own, so I decided to visit her, I didn't think it was fair that she was on her own." Phew, quick thinking. Well done Allison.

He smiled. "That's awfully kind of you. Thank you for being here with her, I know she would hate being here on her own. I'm her brother, Alex. I heard about the accident when it happened but I've only just been able to get a flight out. The airports are hectic at this time of year and my work place is really strict though so I have to leave again on Sunday." he stood up and extended his hand.

Allison reached out and took hold of his hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

He moved aside and pointed at his seat. "Here, have my seat. I'm gonna go back to the house for a bit and freshen up. I'm sure Holly would love you to stay and talk to her though."

"Has there been any news yet?"

"The nurse told me that her respiration rate was actually up a little, so hopefully that's a good sign. Fingers crossed. Anyways, it was lovely meeting you. Hopefully we'll bump into each other again soon."

"It was nice to meet you Alex. See you another time."

"I didn't catch your name." he said as he was on his was out.

"Allison." she replied.

"Well it was lovely meeting you, Allison." he gave a smile and then left.

She knew instantly that he and Holly were related. Besides the fact they both had British accents, he was polite and kind, exactly like her. Allison sat down and smiled. She felt a little better after talking to her brother, and was hoping that the doctors would finally bring some good news.

The bruising on her face was a lot better and she was beginning to look a lot more like her old self. Allison held onto Holly's hand tightly and thought about what Alex had told her. Hopefully it was true what he had said. If she knew Allison was here, would she really appreciate it?

"Hey beautiful." Allison spoke softly, rubbing her thumb across her hand as she loosened her grip a little.

"I don't know if you can here me, I'm praying that you can. Anyways, I want you to know that all those things I said, I didn't mean any of them. I was so stupid to even think about saying those things, and I don't know why I did. I was scared, I've never felt like this about anyone. I guess that what I was trying to say was that we needed to be careful, I didn't want to get caught and have to give you up. Especially before I even had the chance to make memories with you. All this has made me realise how much I want you." Her eyes began filling up with tears and she had a lump in the back of her throat.

"I'm begging you, hold on. Don't you leave me. I need you. I can't do this without you. When I heard the news, I realised something. I love.."

There was a loud beeping noise and the machine around started flashing. Seconds later the door swung open and a swarm of nurses and doctors flooded in. Allison was picked up from my seat with force and pushed towards the door. She screamed and cried and begged them to let her go so that she could get near to her. She had to get close to her. They pulled her from the room and around the corner, out of sight of the room. Allison screamed and wriggled around trying to get free from their grasp.

They tried to calm her down and they'd told her that everything would be okay, but she knew they were telling her lies. She could hear the machines beeping and she that Holly had stopped breathing. After she managed to free herself from their grasp, she ran quickly back to the room and looked through the glass window, afraid of what she might see. The doctors were crowded round her and one was waving his arms frantically. Another was giving CPR and the nurse next to her was checking her watch.

Allison cried and wailed, not caring how stupid she seemed. She was watching a whole lot of strangers trying to save the person that she loved.

But she didn't know if they could save her.