Chapter 5 - Regret

Their lips met for a second or two and it felt like a surge of electricity had entered her body. The hair on every part of her body stood on end and her heart skipped a beat...or 3.
It was a knock at the door that broke their kiss. It had only been a couple of seconds, but it felt like an eternity. Luckily, there was no glass in the door, so whoever was on the other side wouldn't have seen what had just happened.

Holly cleared throat and stepped back.

"Um, I have to go." she said nervously, picking her bag up from the floor and swinging it onto her shoulder.

"Wait..Holly i.."

She rushed for the door. "I'll see you in class tomorrow."

She grabbed the handle and flung the door open, bumping into the principal, Mr Morrison, on the way out.

"I haven't interrupted anything, have I?" he questioned.

"No sir, i was just leaving my detention."

"Okay." He smiled. "How are you finding things? Is everything okay? Are you finding your way around the school?"

"Everything's fine..I don't mean to sound rude but I have to go. I'm late for work and my boss will kill me."

"Very well then...stop by my office some time for a chat. Then we can have a proper introduction."

"Will do!" She shouted, already half way down the corridor. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After leaving the school, she checked her phone for the time. It was 5:17 and she was supposed to start work at 5. With no time to head back to her apartment, she made her way to the shop, hoping that her boss wasn't about to kick her ass. She had only been working there for a few months and she didn't exactly want to be fired anytime soon. The minute she entered through the door, she knew she was in trouble.

"You're 20 minutes late Holly. Where have you been?!" he shouted, throwing his hands up in the air.

"I'm sorry Mr. Perez,  I got kept behind at school to help with some papers and I couldn't get out of it."

"That is not my problem!" he bellowed. "It is not my fault that you cannot behave yourself."

"I know, I really am sorry. It won't happen again."

He muttered something under his breath and then disappeared into the next room. It wasn't that she hated working here, she just really hated how much her boss sucked. She had a stack of stencils on the desk that all needed producing today. Great. She knew she'd probably be here way past the end of her shift.
Just like she'd first thought, she was the last one to finish working which meant she had been left to lock up the shop. Her bosses wife, Mrs. Perez thought the world of Holly, and had left her in charge for most days soon after she had began working there. Her shift was supposed to end at 8pm, but here she was walking home at 9:30.

She shoved the keys into my pocket and headed back home. It was dark already and the street lights cast shadows along the pavement. Every time she heard a car behind her, she worried that it was going to be someone who wasn't very nice. Allison had been right with what she'd said about the neighbourhoods, they really weren't very safe. She thought about their kiss again, and couldn't help but wonder what would've happened if the principal hadn't knocked at the door and interrupted them. She sighed, maybe it was a good thing that he interrupted them? At least she didn't have to face the awkward silence that probably would've followed.

When she got home, she put a pizza in the oven and went upstairs to get changed for bed whilst it cooked. She'd been hot all day in her hoodie, so she opted for a long t-shirt and no pants - her favourite combo. Once her pizza was ready, she took it upstairs with her and ate it in bed whilst watching TV.

Elliott called whilst she was eating and she let out a loud groan. He was only calling to be nosy about the detention.

"Hey Elliot." she said between mouthfuls of pizza.

"How did it go?!" he shouted down the phone excitedly.

"Jesus El, I thought you might be calling to see how I was but all you seem to be interested in is her! Is that what you think of when you're alone in your room at night?" she laughed, knowing fine well that thinking of two girls getting it on was the LAST thing he'd be thinking of.

"Ewwww, no!" he screeched. "Sorry I'm just excited okay! What did you do?"  

"I helped her grade some papers..."

"And what else?"

"That's it.."

"That's it?! You mean you didn't even kiss her?"

"No Elliot, because unlike you I care about getting through this term without being kicked out for throwing myself at a teacher."

A sigh came from the other end of the phone and Holly felt guilty. She desperately wanted to tell him what had happened, but she was worried that even though they were becoming good friends - he might tell someone. 

"Ugh fine. Whatever."

They chatted for a little while longer before saying goodnight. The day had tired her out and she was struggling to keep her eyes open as she got out of bed to turn out the light.

When she got back into bed, she became wide awake. Typical. She tossed and turned but found it impossible to take her mind off of Allison. She knew things were going to be massively awkward during class and she wasn't sure that she could face it. She groaned, realising that it was now 2:30am. She'd already been daydreaming for over 2 hours and she had to be up for school at 7. After shutting her eyes tightly, she finally managed to drift off to sleep. Into the land of dreams were Miss Laine was sure to taunt her in her sleep.