Chapter 51 - Officer Daley

When she woke up, her head was pounding. She felt like she'd been run over by a truck. When her eyes adjusted to her surrondings, she realised she was in a hospital bed. She groaned, looking down at the ridiculous hospital gown she was dressed in. She'd worn these for long enough to never ever want to wear one again.

There was no one else in the room with her, and the silence was deafening. Her ears were ringing and her heart pounded in her ears. She was confused, but she remembered everything. Or at least, she thought she remembered everything. She ran through her family members one by one - she knew her parents had died. She knew she had a brother. Alex. Did she only have one brother? Yes. Did she really though? She remembered Allison. Thank god.

And she remembered Dani. Shit. Dani. She remembered hitting her. The blood spurting from her mouth as she punched her over and over. Her stomach flipped and she felt a sudden wave of nausea at the thought. Looking around, she grabbed one of those cardboard bowls and emptied the contents of her stomach into it.

Just at that moment, Allison came through the door. She rushed to her side, fussing at the sight of her being sick.

"I'm ok. Really." Holly reassured her, moving the bowl over to the table beside her.

Allison was furious with her.

"So you're awake then." She spoke bluntly, returning to the seat she had slept in for most of the night.

"Baby?"

She shot a death stare across the bed Holly was laying in and leaned forward in the chair.

"Are you fucking crazy? Do you know what you've done?!"

"I know..let me explai.."

"I don't want to hear it. Do you know how serious this is? Dani could die! No one knows if she's going to wake up or not. And as for you, you could go to prison! You just better hope that she doesn't remember what happened if she wakes up!"

"Fuck."

Holly brought her hand to the back of her head, trying to soothe the pain that was shooting across her scalp.

"I didn't know what I was doing. Fuck. I met her at the park and before I knew it I was driving her halfway across town and I just don't know what came over me."

"Well you sure showed her, didn't you? Now she's lying in the hospital bed, and god knows what the hell is going to be happen! Jesus christ Holly, you really did it this time!"

"She ruined our lives Allison! I wanted her to pay, and it was the only way I knew how! I didn't mean for this to happen. It got way out of hand."

"Of course, that's you isn't it. The only way you can sort things is by using your fists!" Allison was pacing back and forth in the room. She had one hand on her stomach, grimicing as the pain set in.

"I'm sorry, okay! Please, please sit down. You need to calm down. I know I messed up, but I was only trying to protect you."

"Well good luck explaining that to her parents! Oh and by the way, the police will want to talk to you as soon as they know you're awake. So you better think of something good, otherwise you're going to be in so much shit."

Allison left the room in search of the officers. She wanted this over and done with as soon as possible.

This was such a fucking mess.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ---

"Miss Dean, I am Officer Daley. May I come in and ask you some questions?"

The officer stuck his head through the crack in the door, making sure Holly was awake and calm enough to take questions.

"Of course, come in."

He sat down in the chair Allison had been sitting in and pulled out a notepad. He wrote down a few details and then began asking questions.

"Last night, we found your car on the side of the road, just outside of town. We believe that there was a...dispute between you and Miss Freeman. Can you please tell us what happened?"

She swallowed the lump in her throat. She'd thought about lying her ass off, she couldn't deny it. But she knew the only way this would be sorted is if she came clean. She owed it to Allison.

"My partner Allison and Dani used to date each before the two of us knew each other. She visited the house a few nights ago and tried to cause some trouble. She wanted me to break up with Ally so the two of them could be together again. We didn't get on...if anything we hated each others guts. When I wasnt home, she showed up at our house again and frightened Allison. She was acting crazy, saying that the two of them needed to be together. Allison told her to leave but she didn't, so Allison threatened with the police if she didn't go home. The two of them ended up in an argument and Dani pushed Allison to the ground."

She paused for a moment to collect her thoughts as she watched the officer write everything down she was saying.

"Allison was pregnant, and Dani caused her to have a miscarriage."

"I'm sorry for your loss, Miss Dean. I know this is a tough time but we need to establish exactly what happened. Can you tell me of the next events leading up to the fight? We need to know as much as possible."

"I contacted Dani and asked her to meet me at the park. Allison had her number in her blocked list, so I found it and contacted her from my phone. I knew she wouldnt show up if I told her it was me, so I pretended to be Allison. When I met her, we talked about what happened and then we went for a drive. I didn't know where I was going, I just wanted to scare her a little I guess - I wanted her to know how I was feeling. So we fought, and I hit her. And she hit me. And I hit her back, and she fell against the tree. And then I blacked out. I don't remember anything else."

The officer continued writing, before closing his pad and putting it back into his pocket. He stood up and straightened his jacket.

"Thank you for your time. It's highly possible that another officer will be by to see you sometime today. This has been a serious incident."

"Do you know how she's doing?"

"At the moment, she's still in a lot of danger. While I understand the immense pain you must be going through as a family, it does not excuse what has happened. You could potentially be in a lot of trouble. Providing that Dani wakes up and tells us a story that matches yours - you will both be cautioned. But if Miss Freeman doesn't make it - you could be facing prosecution. Thank you for your time Miss. Dean."