Chapter 21 - Family Feud

Holly woke up again later in the day to the sound of her phone ringing. It was just gone 5pm. She checked the caller ID. Guess who?

"You stalking me?" Holly asked.

"Maybe." She replied, laughing down the phone. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm pretty tired though. You okay?"

"I'm great. Listen, I wanted to know if you wanted to come round for dinner?"

Suddenly, her eyes went blurry and there was a flash. She saw the house. The same house that she been seeing for a few weeks now, although she hadn't told anyone about these flashbacks. Holly couldn't picture where it was, but she knew that she'd been there before. It took her a few seconds before she zoned back in again.

"Holly? Are you there?"

"Err, yeah. Sorry. Can we do it another time? I'm pretty tired and I know you wouldn't mind me coming over in my comfy clothes but I'd feel Really bad. Plus, I need to shower." I laughed.

"I could always check on you if you want? Besides, are you safe to show on your own? What if you fall and hurt yourself?"

Holly smirked slightly. "Allison!" She gasped jokingly. "Are you trying to come over here just so you can see me naked? Because that would be really, really bad of you."

"No! Gosh no, of course not. I just meant tha..."

Allison was cut off by Hollys laughter echoing down the phone. "Relax, I was just messing with you. I'm really okay, I promise. If I need anything then I'll call, but I really should be fine."

She sighed. "Okay. Look after yourself. Goodnight."

She chucked my phone onto the chair across the room and put my head back onto the pillow, laughing at the prank she had just pulled. She closed her eyes and tried to picture the house once more. Everything was blurry, She couldn't even make out the pattern on the wallpaper, but she knew that she must have been there before. Surely she couldn't picture a place that she'd never visited before, could she?

Holly to have another sleep on the couch for an hour or two, then she would get up and make something to eat. Or probably order takeout. She was sleepy again quick enough and she could feel herself falling asleep. She wasn't awake, but she wasn't asleep. Holly was dreaming, but she was aware of my surroundings. And thats when the door bell rang. Again.

"Who could that be?!" She thought to herself. She knew it wasn't Allison and Elliot usually text before he called round.

It was like nobody wanted her to rest.

When she opened the door, Holly was surprised to see Alex on the porch.

Hey Sis." He dropped his bag and threw his arms around her tightly.

"Alex! I've missed you so much. What took you so long?"

"I've been working overtime, some extra money for you."

"Don't be daft! I'm fine, I have enough money to get me by."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holly sat at the dinner table and waited whilst Alex made the two of them dinner. She had tried to talk him out of making her food and suggested they get takeout instead, but he insisted that he wanted to look after her whilst he was around. He made her favourite Spaghetti Bolognese.

"I'm sorry it's not much, Only thing I can cook properly." He laughed.

"Don't worry about it. You know this is my favourite, plus It's nice to have someone cooking for me. I'm surprised I'm not obese with the amount of Chinese takeout I've ate since moving here."

As the two of them ate, they each took it in turns to tell each other what they had both been up to.

"I got sent home from school today."

"You're back at school already?"

"I was sick of staying at home. But I guess it was too much, I collapsed and Elliot took me to the nurse.  I'm fine though."

"Holly! Are you sure you're ok?"

"I'm positive. Alex, why did you really come here? I knew as soon as I opened the door that something was wrong. You aren't your usual self."

He put down his fork and crossed his arms.

"I don't like you being this far away on your own. I didn't want you here alone when you were well. Now that you've had an accident and you're ill, I want to look after you."

"I'm doing fine by myself. I have Elliot and I've settled now, I like it here. It's a good thing being away from home. I don't want to be reminded of what happened."

"You can't look after yourself, you're still my baby sister. I want you to come back to England."

Her heart skipped a beat and she put down her fork.

"I am NOT moving back home. I'm 18, Alex. 19 in 5 months. I'm not a baby. I get that i'm your baby sister but I can look after myself. I told you I wasn't coming back home, my life is here now."

"You need support."

Holly was beginning to raise her voice, agitated that her brother wasn't listening.  "I don't need support. I have Elliot and his family."

He scoffed. "You have Elliot? Look where Elliot got you, Holly. You nearly died."

She threw her chair back and stood up.

"Do NOT blame what happened on Elliot. It was MY fault."

"Your fault? You don't even REMEMBER Holly."

Holly was lost for words. Defeated. She couldn't speak. She wanted to, but nothing would come out.

"I'm, I'm sorry. It came out wron.."

"Elliot told me what happened before we crashed. I believe him. He wouldn't make it up just so that he was in the clear. I did it. I was the reason we crashed."

"Come home. Just for a couple on months until you're better."

He just didn't understand. "But it won't be just a 'couple on months' will it? Once I come home, you won't let me come back. I have my studies to think about. I like it here."

"Your health is more important."

"WHY DON'T YOU GET IT?!" She screamed across the table, louder than she had anticipated.

"I can't go home. There are too many memories. What do you expect me to do, go home and pretend everythings fine? I left because I couldn't cope with having to relive those memories every day. I can't go back to that house. I can't walk through the house every single day where our parents were killed. I won't do that to myself. I was on the verge on killing myself when we moved back into the house. Every day was a constant reminder. I could hear their voices, it was taunting me. I could hear gunshots and screams, it was driving me insane. You don't know how it feels to have that lingering on your shoulders. It was MY fault Alex. Now if you don't understand, don't expect me to come back to the UK. Now please, get out on my apartment."

Before he had time to reply, Holly gabbed his bag and chucked it out of the door. Luckly, he soon followed after.

"I'll call you." he muttered, before slumping off down the road.

Holly slammed the door shut and pressed her back against it, the coldness sending a shiver down her spine. She couldn't belive she had just exploded on him like that. He was her brother and she loved him with all of her heart, but he was an ass sometimes and just didn't understand that it was impossible for her to go back to that house  

She burst into tears and pulled out her phone from her sweatpants pocket.

"Allison? Can you please pick me up? I need you.."