Chapter 6: True Colors

 With Abigail around, Leila found it bearable to live through Mason’s pranks. Sixth grade year ended and she found herself saying goodbye to her only friend. Abigail’s mother enrolled her in cheer camp, which was located in another state. Leila was invited too, but she refused. She has had enough of those cheerleaders.

During the whole summer, Leila and Abigail sent letters to each other. Abigail talked about being able to do the splits, making new friends, and learning new routines. Leila talked about learning how to play the piano and singing lessons. 

The truth was that, Leila knew how to play the piano at the age of six. She was what they called a virtuosa. She also didn’t need singing lessons; she was born with a sweet and angelic voice. Leila only lied to Abigail because she didn’t want to look like a fool. She spent her whole summer at home, reading books or trying to learn how to play more classical pieces. She also spent her summer studying more advanced lessons.

Louis stayed home too, but he mostly sulked. Their mother hasn’t allowed him to play football for the summer. Mason came to sleepover at times, but he didn’t bother messing with Leila. He too was suspicious about Louis. He would always bug him about what was going on and why his mother didn’t want him to play. Louis would always give him the same response, “She wants me to be safe.” Leila didn’t buy it and it looked like Mason didn’t too.

Summer ended quickly and Leila found herself pacing around again. It was once again, the first day of school. Her first day as a seventh grader. Abigail stopped sending her letters the last three weeks of summer. Leila shrugged it off and concluded that her friend might’ve been too busy to write.

“Hey honey, are you ready?” Her mother questioned.

“Yes mom.” Leila nodded and grabbed her backpack.

“Louis! Come on, Leila and I are about to leave.” Her mom called out to him.

“Okay, okay.” Louis huffed as he climbed down the stairs. Leila noticed that he looked different.

His baggy, black long sleeve shirt made him look small. The darkness of the shirt clashed with his complexion. It made him look too pale, almost like one of those stereotypical vampires.

“Are you okay?” Leila asked, concerned about his paleness.

“Yeah, let’s just go.” They both got in and drove off to school.

“Here we are. Have a great day at school. I’ll see both of you later.”Their mother waved at them goodbye.

Louis walked away from Leila to join his popular group. They looked at her and laughed. Leila looked down at the ground and ignored them. She scanned the hallway for Abigail but had no luck.

The first bell rang and she headed straight for Math class. With all of the studying over the summer, she found all of the classes boring. Finally, lunch time came around.

As always, Leila trudged through the line. She swept her eyes from side to side, trying to look for Abigail. Just then, she heard a familiar laugh. She whipped her head over to the sound and grimaced.

Abigail sat with the popular group. Her hair was no longer a shiny shade of red; it was a dark shade of yellow. Blond. Abigail was a blond and she hung out with the popular group. Leila walked over to them.

Immediately, their laughter stopped and deadly glares bored through Leila. She cleared her throat and began to speak. “Abigail… Can we talk?” Abigail looked at the popular girls nervously. She nodded faintly and approached Leila.

“Hey. How come you didn’t write back? And why are you with them?” Leila asked, confused.

“I… uh… Listen, we can’t be friends anymore.” Abigail looked at her hands sadly.

“Why? I mean, I thought you never liked those girls?” It was true, Abigail said so herself.

“I changed my mind. I don’t want to be a nobody like you. “She stated the last sentence a bit too loud, making the popular crowd hear it. They all laughed and some snickered.

“You changed, Abigail. I don’t know you anymore.” Leila felt tears form in the brim of her eyes.

“People change, Leila. Just go find some other friends or something. Gosh.” She threw her hands up in the air for a dramatic effect.

“You know what; I thought you were actually nice. I was so wrong. I won’t bother you anymore.” Leila turned around and dumped her lunch into the trash can. She left for the bathroom, knowing she couldn’t contain the tears.

The rest of the day passed by, Leila walked to her locker slowly. What she saw made me sad and angry again. Abigail was leaning on her locker, fidgeting with her thumbs.

“What do you want?” Leila said coldly.

“I want to tell you the truth. I really don-“

“I don’t care. We’re not friends anymore. Go back to those popular friends of yours. Bye, Abigail.” She went straight to the parking lot, looking for her mom. She didn’t bother putting her books back, in fear that Abigail might’ve try to talk to her again.

“You didn’t even let me finish.” Abigail whispered next to her.

“I don’t care, okay? Just leave me alone!” She snapped.

“Fine! I’m so glad we’re not friends anymore, you loser!” Abigail snapped back.

At the same time, a car honked. Leila felt relieved, it was her mother. She ran towards the car, not even bothering to look back at her ex-friend.

“How was school?” her mom questioned.

“Could’ve been better.” Leila muttered.

Leila was sad that Abigail chose to be with the popular crowd over her. She will miss her. She was her first friend. However, she was glad that she found out about it early. She now knew what Abigail’s true colors were.  

-----------------------------------END OF CHAPTER 6--------------------------------------

Virtuosa is sometimes referred to as a female version of virtuoso. :) Just an FYI.

Vote. Comment. Fan? If you like.

<3