Chapter 10: Friend, Not Crush!

 “I think we should go home now.” Leila’s teeth chattered as she let go of Mason.

“I guess so.” Mason frowned to himself.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Leila brought her hand up on his cheek. Nope, he stopped crying moments ago.

“I wish we could stay here forever.” He quickly put his hand over his mouth, as if those words were not meant to be said. Leila laughed lightly, making him blush.

“Me too. But my mom will get worried.” She stood up and held out her hand. “Come on, I need to take a shower before I get sick.”

“Okay then.” He took her hand and pulled himself up.

The walk to Leila’s house was peaceful. She hummed a very familiar song. Mason knew what it was. The tune was imprinted in his head.

“Concrete Angel?” Mason raised his brow.

“How’d you know?” She didn’t think that he listened to those kinds of songs.

“My mom used to play that all the time.” He spaced out, smiling. Leila didn’t bother interrupting him… He was probably just thinking about his mom.

“We’re here.” Leila had to break him out of his reverie. The door suddenly burst open, making them both flinch.

“Leila Jane- Oh Mason! You were together?” Leila’s mother gestured for them to enter the house. “Both of you are soaking wet! Go shower now, Leila. I don’t want you to get sick. As for you Mason, I’ll call your dad and I think Louis has some extra clothes there. Make yourself at home.” She gave him a warm smile and headed for the kitchen.

“Well, I’m off to take a shower.” Leila looked at him awkwardly.

“Yeah… You do that…” He looked at her nervously.

“Uhm… Thanks?” She kissed his cheek again, making him more nervous.

“You’re welcome, I guess.” He kept his eyes on the floor.

Leila rushed to her room. She ran to her bathroom and took a long and warm shower. After she got dressed, she touched her lips. It felt as if thousands of aggravated birds were trying to peck their way out of her stomach. This was the first time she felt like this. She jumped on her bed and did what most girls would do- she screamed her lungs out on her pillow.

Mason was different. He was a lot nicer and less confident. She smiled at the thought of her making him nervous. No one has ever affected Mason like that. Ever.

A knock on the door brought her back to reality.

“Hey honey… Mason left.” At that, Leila frowned. She wanted to talk to him more.

“Okay.” She managed to reply.

“So… Why were you two together? I thought you never got along? And why did you look like a love struck teen just moments ago? Is there something you’re not telling me?” Her mom interrogated her.

“Relax, mom! Mason is just a friend!” Leila looked at her mother. “Why do you have that creepy smile on? You’re scaring me!” Her mother smiled even wider.

“A friend? Really? Then what was that cheek kissing action I saw earlier?” Her mom pushed on.

“Mom! That was just a friendly gesture!” Leila whined.

“Sure thing, honey.” Her mom laughed. “Stop getting offended. The more you deny it, the more you blush!” She poked Leila’s cheeks. “My baby girl has a crush on someone!” She cooed.

“Noooo! He’s just a friend!” Leila argued on.

“What’s going on?” Louis walked into her room. They both looked at him.

“Nothing.” Her mom’s voice sounded like an innocent girl.

“I know there’s something happening. You’re using that voice, mom!” He chuckled.

“It’s really nothing!” Leila said too quickly.

Louis furrowed his brows. “Sure, it is Leila. What’s going on mom?”

“Well, you see…Earlier…” Her mom trailed. Leila looked at her pleadingly. “Oh… Never mind.”  Leila sighed deeply.

“Is this about Mason? You like him now?” Louis smirked at her.

“NO! We’re just friends!” Leila screamed.

“Leila’s got a crush on Mason.” Louis teased.

“Yeah, Leila and Mason sitting in tree… K-I” Her mom began to sing as Leila cut her off.

“Friend, not crush. F-R-I-E-N-D! FRIEND!” Leila screamed. Louis and her mother stopped. They both looked at her intently. “Gosh, I have to go all cave man for both of you to stop.”

“Leila and Mason…” Louis started again.

“Sitting in a tree!” Her mom continued.

“How many times do I have to say it?” Leila exclaimed, making Louis and her mom chuckle.

“We were just trying t make you laugh.” Her mom laughed lightly. “We love you Leila.” She kissed Leila’s cheek and left.

Louis followed his mom out. He reached for Leila’s door knob and closed the door, but not before saying, “Deny it all you want, but you’re only lying to yourself.” He closed the door behind him.

As soon as Leila was sure Louis was in his room, she screamed in frustration. The angry birds were still in her tummy, making her feel all fuzzy and warm inside. She was very new to those types of feelings. Her mom and brother did'nt help with that either. 

‘Friend. Not crush,’ she thought over and over. ‘Friend… Maybe Crush’

Before she knew it, darkness took over. She dreamed about the park again. This time, they were both really happy. There was no rain, no tears, and no sadness. Nothing but smiles, laughter, and joy.

-----------------------------------------------END OF CHAPTER 10--------------------------------------------

VOTE.

COMMENT.

FAN?

<3