Chapter 20: How Could You Be So Heartless!

* ALL of my chapters are not edited. Sorry for the typos and whatnot. I'll be editing as soon as I complete this book. :)

Chapter 20: How Could You Be So Heartless!

The week passed in a blur. Before she knew it, Leila was on her way to school again. She grabbed her bag and got into the car. Within minutes, Louis and her mom came out together. He sighed and smiled at her as he got in. She felt herself relax and smiled back.

They both got out together. Leila felt herself get tense as the students stared at them. Particularly at her brother’s arms. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder, squeezing it every now and then. Slowly, she felt her shoulder slouch. She took a deep breath and held it in as she heard that voice. Her voice.

“Louis,” she called out, gasping for air. At the sound of her voice, Leila and Louis turned around. She smiled warmly and greeted, “Hey Leila.”

“What do you want, Abigail?” Leila looked at her furiously. She had no right to pretend as if she didn’t hurt Louis!

“Whoa! Calm down,” Abigail held her hands up in surrender.

“Hi Abigail,” Louis greeted casually. It was as if he never saw her kiss his best friend!

Leila grabbed Louis roughly and took him in a less crowded place. Finally feeling herself calm down, she asked, “What is going on?”

Louis cocked one of his brows at her. “What do you mean?”

“Like that little scene at the beach never happened? Like your best friend never kissed you girl friend!” Leila whisper yelled at him.

“They both apologized. It was all because of a dare anyways,” Louis shrugged it off like it never hurt him.

“You are so confusing, you know that? You looked so angry. You even punched the guy!” Leila threw her hands up in the air, in defeat.

“Just let it go sis. I accepted their apologies. It’s all good,” Louis grinned at her with his big puppy eyes.

“Fine. But I’m still not forgiving Carmichael or Russo,” she crossed her arms over her chest and huffed.

“You are such a child. I don’t want to hold grudges. I heard it bad, especially if you die holding onto them. You’re seriously going to address them by their last names now?” Louis laughed lightly.

“Why are you acting like you’re going to die? Live a little, bro! And they don’t deserve to be addressed by their first names,” Leila retorted.

“No one can ever live forever. It’s just some find it hard to accept that. I’ve accepted that a long time ago. I can die anytime. Just as long as it’s after our sixteenth birthday,” he winked and grinned at her mischievously.

“What is that supposed to mean? And stop thinking like that,” Leila slapped his arm softly.

“You totally forgot, huh? It’s so typical for you to forget our own birthday.

“I didn’t!” Leila furrowed her brows, trying to remember the date.

“It’s this week Saturday,” Louis whispered amusingly.

“I knew that!” Leila stated, annoyed at how he was right all along.

“Well it was fun bickering with you, but we’ve got classes to attend to,” Louis looked at his invisible watch and walked away.

Leila zoomed through her classes, finding them all boring and a repeat of the previous school year’s lessons. Abigail had her for Math and English, but not from Science. She sat down on one of the chairs for her Biology class. Soon after, the teachers and the students piled into the class. She was the only one without a partner. Louis was in the same class but he sat next to one of his friends.

“Hello class, my name is Mr. Raymond and I will be teaching you about Biology this year.” A man who looked like he was around 30 years of age boomed through the class. His brown hair looked dull, but his eyes held excitement in them. Overall, his suit and tie made him look like a college professor. “I see that we are one student short. Hmm,” he tapped his pen on his roster and called out the names. Leila stiffened as she heard his name. She looked around and sighed frustratingly. He wasn’t here yet and he’d most likely be her partner for the rest of the year. “Wow, almost all of you ma-“ He was cut off by the door opening.

He walked in with confidence and grace. His gray shirt showed the outlines of his muscles. He was tone! Leila tore her eyes away from him as he caught her staring.

“You must be Mr. Carmichael. Please take a seat next to,” the teacher trailed off, not remembering her name.

“Leila,” Mason finished for him as he hesitantly walked towards her table. Leila looked up and glared at him murderously. He flinched back a little and sighed.

Minutes after the class began; she saw a paper fall onto her book. She looked at it and opened it slowly.

‘You still mad at me?’ She read it over and over again, feeling the anger rush through her body.

Grudgingly taking a hold of her pen, she scribbled, ‘Of course, you idiot.’ She slapped the paper onto Mason’s book. It caught him by surprise, making him gasp and flinch.

She looked at his face, waiting for his reaction. Sadness and regret filled his eyes. Leila looked away, feeling her heart ache at the sight of him. She wanted to take away his pain, but she couldn’t. She had to be strong. He hurt her and Louis too!

The bell rang, finally signaling the end of class. Leila slowly put her things away, waiting for everyone to leave the room. She walked towards the teacher and cleared her throat. His head shot up questioningly.

“What can I do for you, Ms. McCormick?” He sat up straight and fixed his tie.

“I would like to move to another desk. Maybe with my brother instead?” Leila pleaded.

“I’m sorry Ms. McCormick. I can’t do that. I’ve already typed up and printed the seating arrangements. I do not want to go back, change, and then reprint it all because you are not getting along with Mr. Carmichael. I’m very sorry,” he resumed working on some paperwork.

“Okay,” Leila muttered. She knew he wasn’t sorry at all. She turned and headed for the lunch room as a hand grabbed her towards a wall. The wall seemed warm… She looked up and faced Mason.

“Leila,” he breathed.

“What do you want, Carmichael?” she pushed him away, only to have him grip on her harder.

“I just want to talk,” he looked at her sadly.

“You’ve said enough, okay! I’m done with you,” Leila tried to wiggle out of his grasp.

“I’m sorry, okay. Losing you was the worst thing that’s ever happened to me. I didn’t mean to hurt you at all. Now you hate me. You hate me so much that you don’t even want to be my Bio partner,” Leila felt his grip loosen as his eyes shone brightly. She knew those were unshed tears. He whispered, “I’m so sorry. I need you back. Please.” Just then, his tears started to fall. Leila sighed and wiped them away.

“Stop crying; it might cost you your place at Kyle’s circle,” Leila triumphantly got out of his grip and walked away.

Mason slid down against the wall, putting his head in between his knees. His tears poured out wildly. He was truly sincere about what he just said, but she didn’t believe him. His heart started to break and his head started to throb.

Leila rushed towards the girl’s room. Hot tears fell from her eyes. She looked at the mirror and saw a weak little girl staring back at her. She didn’t know if Mason was sincere about his apology. She fiercely wiped her tears away. Though Mason hurt her badly, she felt a pang of guilt hit her.

How could you be so heartless?’ A voice screamed in her head.

------------------------END OF CHAPTER 20--------------------------

VOTE.

COMMENT.

FAN?

<3