Chapter 25: Broken Chances

“Wake up, sweetie.” Leila’s mom shook her lightly, trying to wake her up.

“Hey mom,” she looked at her surroundings and found that she was back in her room. She hasn’t been here in weeks.

“Get up and change. I made breakfast and I’m driving you to school,” her mother handed her a towel and stopped at her door. “Please don’t make me force you to attend school. I’m just doing what’s best for you,” with that, she closed the door.

Leila sighed and took a warm shower. She quickly changed into a clean pair of clothes and headed out. Just as she was about to go, she walked back and looked at herself in the mirror. She cringed as she saw herself. As she lifted her shirt up, her eyes bulged. Her ribs were very visible. She took a step forward and looked closely. Huge dark circles were around her eyes, her skin looked sickly pale, her hair weren’t as shiny as before, and her eyes looked so lifeless.

“That’s nothing a few hours of sleep and lots of fatty foods can’t fix,” her mom came in holding her bag. “Come on, you’re going to be late.”

Leila walked out of the house, skipping breakfast. She didn’t feel hungry anyways.

“I packed you some breakfast. It’s in your bag,” her mom reminded her as she stepped out of the school.

Leila walked out of her mom’s car and made it to the school’s entrance. Many whispers and sympathetic looks were thrown at her. She shrugged it off and headed for her classes.

The classes droned on. She finished all of her work in a flash. She had learned all of the lessons over the summer. She couldn’t get her mind off Louis, though. She would often check her phone, to see if there was any news about Louis. The last message she received was from his nurse. She said that he has been transferred to a nursing home.

“Hey,” Mary Joy looked at her guiltily.

“Hi. What’s wrong?” Mary Joy fidgeted with her fingers.

“Nothing,” she rushed out. “See you later.”

Leila rolled her eyes and went over to her locker. She pulled out her Biology book and headed to the class. She hesitantly walked in, drawing everyone’s attention back to her. She looked back at her table and saw that the chair has been replaced. Slowly, she sat herself down.

“I’m truly sorry about what happened, Leila. But I am happy to say that we have found the culprit. The principal only gave him detention and cleaning duty for the rest of the school year and ten days suspension. If your parents were ever to press charges, I think he will be sent to Juvy. We are praying for your brother’s safe recover,” Mr. Raymond walked by her and gave her a pat on the shoulder. “Now we are proceeding with the debates. You can just watch and write your own opinion on a sheet of paper, Leila.”

Leila nodded her head and watched the debates. She looked around the class and saw no sign of Mason. She was even going to give him another chance. She’ll have to talk to him later. The bell rang and signaled the end of class. Leila picked up her makeup assignments and headed for the lunch hall.

All eyes fell on her once again. She looked over Abigail as she stared back with sad eyes. Leila peeled her eyes off her and went over to Mary Joy.

“Hey,” Leila said as she sat down.

“Hi,” Mary Joy looked at her hands nervously.

“Okay, spill. Tell me what’s wrong,” Leila looked at her expectantly.

“I… Maybe after school, okay?” Mary joy stood up and walked out.

“Hey,” Jason came from behind her. “Why are you alone?”

“Mary Joy left, I guess?” Leila shrugged her shoulders.

“Oh,” was the last word spoken until the bell rang.

Leila went to her other classes, not being able to pay that much attention to anything. She was worried about Louis and now Mary Joy is adding up to that list too. What was she hiding?

The last bell finally sounded off. Leila rushed out and met Mary Joy by the school’s entrance.

“Are you going to tell me now?” Leila looked at her pleadingly.

“Y-y-yeah. Please don’t hate me!” Mary Joy croaked.

“You know I won’t. You’re my best friend,” Leila smiled reassuringly.

“I-Mason… He was behind it all,” Mary Joy’s eyes met hers. They mirrored the same horror and sadness in hers.

“How could he! They were best friends!” Leila yelled out. “I’ve got to go,” she broke away from Mary Joy and asked her mom to take her to the nursing home.

Leila walked lifelessly towards the nursing home. Her mom told her the room number. She quickly found the room and pushed the door opened.

“I’m so sorry. Please forgive me,” that voice sounded so familiar.

“You’ve got some nerve to show your face around here!” Leila hissed. Mason’s head snapped towards her directions. Tears streamed down his face as he held his best friend’s hand.

“I never meant for it to ha-“ Leila’s hand connected with his cheek. He stumbled back slightly, letting go of his best friend’s hand.

“How could you! He trusted you! He loved you like a brother,” Leila cried angrily. She slapped, clawed and punched Mason’s chest. He just stood there, taking in all her hits. “And to think I was going to give you another chance. You are just so pathetic!”

“I’m sorry… I never meant for it to turn out like this. Please Leila, you’ve got to believe me,” he took her hands in his and looked at her straight in the eyes. His eyes held so many emotions; it became overwhelming to look at them. Leila broke away from his gaze, feeling her eyes sting.

“Leave, please. Don’t ever bother coming back here again. You did this to my brother, your best friend. You should be ashamed of yourself. Leave now,” she commanded as she pointed towards the door.

He sighed and walked towards the door. Before closing it, he said, “I’m sorry Leila. I really am. I’m a horrible person, I know. But I just wanted you to know that I love you Leila Jane McCormick. I am hopelessly in love with you.” With a click of the door, Leila slid down and looked at the door blankly.

She swallowed the lumps forming in her throat. She will not cry. She will try to be stronger for Louis.

----------------------------END OF CHAPTER 25--------------------

VOTE.

FAN.

COMMENT.

If you like(;

<3