Chapter 9: Other Side of Mason

New chapter. :)

Enjoy!

Chapter 9: Other Side of Mason

The news of Leila and Mason being partners for the project spread throughout the school like a wild fire. Everywhere Leila turned, she’d hear the students whisper about her. It was getting annoying.

Lunch came and the students piled into the cafeteria. Leila walked over to her usual table.

“Heard that you’re working with Mason on some project.” Cindy, one of the popular and cruel students, smiled evilly.

“Yeah, what’s it to you?” Leila frowned, thinking about all the bad things Cindy has done to her.

“Nothing. Just making sure that you know where you stand.” Cindy pulled out a bottle of water and spilled it on Leila. “You were and will always be on the bottom. A loser, got it?” Cindy turned on her heel and left, without looking back at Leila.

By the time Cindy got to her chair, the whole cafeteria was staring Leila down. There were a bunch of giggles and more whispers.

Leila saw someone coming towards her, but she couldn’t tell who it was. Her eyes were blurred with unshed tears.

“I’m sorry Leila. She’s just like that.” Mason said softly.

What he did next has earned gasps from the whole student body. Mason took his shirt off and put it over Leila.

“Huh?” Leila looked at him, shocked at his actions.

“You’re shivering.” He smiled faintly. “Let’s go to the nurse or something. I don’t think they allow this in school.” He pointed to his bare chest.

Leila giggled a little. “Okay.” She turned around, but not before seeing those pair of brown eyes glaring at her. Cindy looked at her with so much hatred.

“Ignore her.” Mason took her hand in his and pulled her to the nurse’s office.

They arrived in the nurse’s office as Leila started to shiver convulsively. “Oh dear! Let me get some blankets.”

Mason told the nurse what happened. She nodded and pulled the thermometer out of Leila’s mouth.

“She must be traumatized. Would you like me to send you home, dear?” The nurse looked at Leila.

“Can he go with me?” Leila asked, looking at Mason. He nodded his head, smiling.

“I don’t know… I’ll try to call your parents. Is that okay?” They nodded their heads.

The nurse left to sign them out of the office and to contact their parents.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” Leila looked at Mason. He fidgeted with his hands.

He brought his head up and stared back at her. “I want to be friends… Friends don’t let their friends get hurt. I want to prove myself.”

“Okay.” Leila smiled at that thought. He sounded so sincere.

“Mason, your dad asked the chauffeur to pick you and Leila up. Your parents are way too busy to get you.” The nurse grinned. “You two can wait outside.”

They both nodded their heads and waited.

“A chauffeur? You must be rich.” Leila mumbled as they walked through the hallway.

“Something like that.” He muttered as they reached the entrance of the school.

Just in time, a car pulled up. A man walked out and opened the other doors.