Chapter 21: What If?

Leila returned to the lunchroom after washing her tear stained cheeks. She got into the lunch line, but was pulled towards a table.

“There you are,” Mary Joy exclaimed with concerned eyes. “Where have you been? I’ve been waiting for you!”

“I was using the girl’s room. Geez, Mary Joy. You’re sounding like some possessive boy friend or something,” Leila rolled her eyes but felt her stomach grumble after.

“Maybe I am,” she winked as she motioned towards an untouched tray of food. “I got you these in case.”

“Thanks!” Leila started to eat like there was no tomorrow.

“Calm down. The tray won’t be going anywhere. You might choke,” Mary Joy mused, causing Leila to frown at her. She ignored Leila and cleared her throat, “I wonder where’s that good for nothing step brother of mine. I haven’t seen him come in at all. Maybe he skipped school! He is so in trouble!” Mary Joy wiggled her brows and attempted to do an evil laugh. It caused many heads to turn their way.

“You’re causing a scene! You are so embarrassing,” Leila ducked her head.

“There he is now!” Mary Joy whispered, which made Leila’s head snap up quickly. She looked up so quickly that she received a whiplash. “Giddy, are we now?” She looked at Leila with one of her eyebrows raised.

“Oh please! I’d rather chew on broken glass,” Leila sighed as she felt the guilt rising up again. She gulped down the rest of her food and dumped her tray. She passed by their table, taking a peek at Mason. His head hung low as he sat a few inches away from the rest of the popular crowd. None of them even seemed to care or notice him! She clenched her fists and bit her tongue down. She didn’t want to confront them. Causing a scene would be the same thing as making a death wish.

The whole school day dragged on. By the time the last bell rang, Leila was out of energy. She dumped her books into her locker and headed out of the deserted hallway.

“I was serious about needing you back,” a voice stopped her. She turned and looked at him. His eyes looked at her pleadingly.

“Just give up already!” Leila looked at him with a bored expression. She started to fiddle with her fingers. He still had the same effect on her. Under his melting gaze, she felt herself getting nervous.

“I just wanted you to know that I do mean everything, Leila. I’m so sorry and I… I need you so much. I might even lo… Never mind, it’s up to you to believe me. Just remember that I’ll wait for you. I’ll wait for the day you realize that I’m sincere. I’ll wait for the day you accept my apology and give me another chance,” Mason unexpectedly pulled her into a hug. She was torn between hugging him back and pushing him away.

Finally mustering enough self control, she pushed him away. She cleared her throat and replied, “Never going to happen.” With that, she left a glum looking Mason and searched for her brother.

The whole ride home was silent. Louis often gave her side glances. His worried face made Leila suspicious. Did he witness what happened between her and Mason?

Once they got home, Leila threw her bag down and headed for her room.

‘I’ll wait for you,’ his words made their way back into her mind.

“Hey,” Louis broke her away from her thoughts. Great, she needed a distraction anyways.

“Hi,” she looked at him and patted the space her to her. He hesitantly walked and sat next to her.

“I know something’s bothering you,” he blurted out, killing the awkward silence.

“It’s nothing to worry about,” Leila put on her fake smile.

“It is. I know what happened, Leila. I saw the whole thing. Why are you holding grudges against him? He was-“ That made Leila snap.

“I gave him another chance before but he ruined it, okay! I actually thought he changed. You don’t know how much he hurt me,” she felt the tear building up in her eyes again.

“He was sincere about it all, you know. I think he might actually love you,” he trailed, looking at her seriously.

“Love? Mason Carmichael actually loving someone else but himself? Ha! Like that would ever happen. You’ve got the situation all mixed up. I’m supposed to be victim here! I fell for him, Louis! It hurts seeing him and wanting to know what could’ve been. It hurts wanting to make him pay for what he’s done but not having the courage to get revenge. It hurts knowing that he doesn’t feel the same way. Why Louis? Why is it like this? Why am I foolishly and deeply in love with Mason Carmichael? ” Leila clamped her mouth down with her hands. She just poured put her feelings to her brother. She admitted her true feelings about Mason!

Louis took her hands away from her mouth and squeezed them comfortingly. “I don’t know why you’re so in love with him. But I do know that he’s sincere about everything Leila. He…He told me that he fell for you… He feels the same way, if not, even more. He wants you back. I just hope you don’t dwell on his past mistakes. If you do, then the rest of your life, you’d be left with two painful words. What if? What if you actually forgave him and gave him a chance? What if you two actually got back together?” Louis smiled at her warmly. He continued, “Believe me. I’m his best friend. He tells me everything. Though I find it very annoying, I think you should know that he talks about you. He talks about you a lot that sometimes I think he might be obsessed. It’s really creeping me out.” Louis mused.

Leila laughed lightly and inquired, “Really?”

“Yes. Annoying enough to make me want to shank his throat,” Louis ruffled her hair. “My little sister is in love. You’re growing up so fast!”

“Whatever, Louis. You only came out two minutes before me!” She fixed her hair and stuck her tongue out.

“Yeah, yeah. Just remember that I’ll always be here, okay? I love you sissy. I think you should give him a chance. If not, then it’s okay too. Choose whichever makes you happy,” Louis pulled her into a soft hug.

“Thanks Louis. I love you too,” she hugged him back.

“I’ll leave you to think harder about it,” he pulled out and gave her a kiss on the forehead. “Goodnight Leila.”

“Goodnight,” Leila yawned and lay back down on her bed.

She was in love with Mason.

He felt the same way, but maybe even more.

What does she do now? Forget about all the pain and give him a chance? That’d be risking getting another broken heart. She knew that if he does it one more time, she’d be completely broken. If she leaves him alone, then she’d be forever haunted with one horrific question. What if?

‘What if?’ she wondered.

----------------------------------END OF CHAPTER 21-------------------------------------

Tell me what you think?

Vote, comment, fan if you like. :)