Chapter 8: A Truce?

Thanks to those who support this. 

Chapter 8: A Truce?

It was the beginning of eighth grade year and Leila was already used to being alone. Abigail was now the captain of the cheer leading team, because she was co-captain the year before. Leila looked over to the popular crowd. Louis and Abigail laughed together, while holding hands. There had been rumors that her brother was dating her ex friend. Leila continued to scan their group and stopped when she found him.

His ocean blue eyes stared back at her. His lips curved into a faint smile and she grimaced at the sight of it. She didn’t know why Mason hated her so much. All she knows is that she’ll try to avoid him as much as she can. It was her last year in middle school; she didn’t want Mason to ruin it all.

The bell rang, signaling the students to get to class. Leila headed for her first class. Leila headed for her Math class. Leila zoomed through mostly all of her classes. They were too easy for her, for she studied her butt off during the summer. Her last class was Health, the subject she didn’t bother to learn over the summer. She sat herself down and waited for the other students to come.

The students all swarmed into the room, followed by a tall and gray haired man. He cleared his throat as silence finally filled the room.

“I’m Mr. Daniels and I will be teaching you about Hea-“ The door burst open to reveal Mason. “Ah… Mr. Carmichael, is it? It’s so nice of you to come to class today. Maybe you can try being a bit more punctual.”

“Yes sir.” Mason huffed as he walked towards Leila. He sat himself on the desk behind hers.

“I will need you all to jot down the notes from the board. This is about your very first project. You will all be grouped in pairs. Just look at the person behind and you will know who you’ll be working with… Wait for it… For the rest of the school year! Dun dun dun!” The teacher laughed at himself as the students let out sighs of frustration.

Leila slowly turned her head around to see the same pair of glistening, sapphire eyes boring into hers.

“Guess we’ll be partners the rest of the year, huh?” Mason smiled, showing off his dimples. Leila felt her breathing pick up.

“I guess.” She frowned and started to take down the notes.

“Let me elaborate more about this project. I want you all to try to get to know each other. Ask each other questions, list down facts and other information you can find. I will give you only two months to do this. After that, you will be required to present those facts to the class and as well as your partners. Believe me, it’s better not to cheat on this project. It will help you set aside your differences and will give you a huge advantage on the biggest project of them all. That will be assigned months before the school year ends, so don’t worry. Have fun and don’t be picking fights on the first day now!” He grinned. “You may start on trying to get to know your partner’s name and whatnot. I’ll be here, if anything.” He sat down on his chair and started to read a newspaper.

Leila scoffed at the teacher. She didn’t think that he was actually serious about teaching them Health. Getting to know each other certainly has nothing to do with it!

“Hey…” A voice pulled her out of her thoughts.

“Yeah?” Leila whipped her head around and stared at him blankly.

“I guess we should start on this project?” He questioned at her.

“Okay… What’s going on? No insults or pranks of some sorts? Really Mason?” She asked, suspiciously.

“Nope. Just doing this stupid project, not unless you want to fail.” He looked at her with a bored expression.

“Fine. I still don’t trust you.” She mumbled.

“Why do you always think that I’m so bad? Am I really a monster?” He looked at her with a pained expression.

“Y-y-yes. You don’t know how much I hate you.” She snapped.

“I’m sorry, okay? How about we call it a truce?” Mason looked at her expectantly.

Leila wasn’t convinced about this, but she agreed anyways.

“Okay, it’s a truce.”

“Yes! Step one is complete!” He said excitedly.

“Step one?” Leila was puzzled. Was this some kind of game?

“Yes! Step one is the friendship stage.” He stated with confidence.

“No. I still hate you. Step one is the stranger stage.” She smirked at his shocked expression.

“Fine then. I guess I’ll have to prove myself to you now?” He smiled at the challenge.

“I guess so.” Mason held out his hand for her to shake.

“I’m Mason Anthony Carmichael. And you are?”

“Mason, you know who I am.” Leila chuckled at his immaturity.

“We should try to start over, you know. Go along with it.”

“Fine. I’m Leila Jane McCormick.” She sighed as they shook hands.

“Nice to meet you, Leila.”

“Nice to meet you too.”

Leila found herself backing out of her plan. The plan to try to avoid Mason as much as she can. That was the first time Leila shared a decent conversation with Mason. The time they called it a truce.

Though he seemed sincere about it, Leila couldn't help be feel suspicious. Why now? Why him? She looked over Mason again as he grinned at her. She gave him a faint smile and darted her eyes over her sheet of paper.

Mason Anthony Carmichael.... was all that she managed to write. She wanted to put how cruel he was or how much he ruined her life, but she couldn't. She was too nice to do that. Something deep insde her, wanted to forgive him and to befriend him so badly.

"Stupid project. Stupid truce." She whispered to herself.

--------------------------------END OF CHAPTER 8------------------------------

VOTE.

COMMENT.

FAN?

IF YOU LIKE.

<3