Chapter 33: My Best Friend's Girl

Leila found it very hard to sleep. She tossed and turned for hours, thinking about what Jason has said. He confessed his love for her. Should she tell him that she heard his confession? Or should she move on and pretend like nothing happened? Maybe he’d tell her in person… But if he chose to keep quiet for eight years, then there’s no doubt that he’d be willing to keep it from her for life, right? Rubbing her temples, she sat up and heard his doorbell sound out.

She got up and looked over the clock. It read six… It was six in the morning, already!? She heard Jason’s footsteps. Once she was sure he was not in sight, she crept out of the room and made her way into his library. His library room held so many books. She mostly spent her time there, reading whatever he had. She looked through the books behind the second shelf.

She clutched onto an unfamiliar book and sat down quickly. Muffled voices made their way into the library room. The door clicked open and in walked Jason…Who was he with?

“What did you want to talk about?” Jason asked nervously.

“About you… and Leila,” a familiar voice replied. His voice made her heart skip a beat. Could it really be him? Leila stood up and looked through the spaces between the books. It really was him! It was Mason!

“What about us?” Jason asked uncomfortably.

“I am neither blind nor deaf, Jason. I know that you have feelings for Leila,” Mason’s voice sounded a bit flat.

“H-h-how?” Jason stuttered, looking at Mason wide eyed.

“I know you very well, Jason. You’re one of my closest friends. I’ve seen the way you look at her… You look at her with so much love and the way you talk about her… I just know it, Jason. No need to deny it,” Mason stared at him intently.

“Okay. It’s true. But there’s nothing I can do about it. I won’t steal her from you and I certainly won’t take advantage of her memory loss. She loves you Mason. I know her too well,” Jason stated sadly.

“I… I’ve decided to travel for a while. I need an escape. I want you to take care of Leila. I want you to make her happy and love her just like what I did,” Mason pleaded.

“Why? Why are you giving up now? Why are you running away from this?” Jason asked in disbelief.

“I’m not giving up because I want to… I’m giving up because I have to! I want her to be happy again, Jason. You don’t know how heartbreaking it is to see her like this. I love her too much to see her in pain,” his voice sounded so sincere and so powerful.

“What? Come on Mason! You can’t do this!”

“I have decided. I know that you are in love with Leila. If she’s happy with you, then I’ll be fine with it. Just make sure that you don’t hurt her… and that you’d take good care of her,” Mason’s voice sounded weak now… Desperation was written all over his face.

“I can’t! Don’t you get it? She’ll never feel the same way for me! Why don’t you just tell her the truth? You’ve hidden so many secrets from her. She has the right to know!” Jason hissed.

“She’ll be better off if she doesn’t know and if I leave. I just need some time to think, okay? Just for a few more months, can you please watch over her?” Mason got on his knees and looked at him pleadingly. “I’m dropping every single bit of my dignity here. Please Jason… I just want to make sure Leila is safe…. I don’t know what I’d do if something bad was to ever happen to her. I’m begging you.”

“I will. I promised Louis that,” Jason nodded.

“Thank you. If you do get her to fall for you, then I’d be happy. Don’t feel guilty okay? Whatever makes Leila happy makes me happy too. Thank you so much Jason. I had always said that Leila deserved better than me… And you are way better than me,” Mason admitted before pulling him into a man hug.

“It’s nothing. And I’m fine with being her second brother. Actually, Leila deserves you. You have made so many sacrifices… You’re even willing to give her up, just to make her happy again. I hope Leila gains her memory back. You two are made for each other,” Jason sighed as he walked with Mason out of the library.

Leila’s eyes were as wide as saucers. Not only did Jason love her… But Mason was willing to give her up, just so she can be happy? A pang of guilt and regret hit her hard. She clutched onto the book, feeling more confused than ever. She looked down at the book in her hand. It was one of Jason’s published books!

‘My Best Friend’s Girl,’ Leila trailed her hands over the title.

“What do I do now?” she asked herself.

------------------------------END OF CHAPTER 33-------------------------

What'd you think?

I just love Mason. (;