Chapter 27: God Works In Wondrous Ways

This chapter is dedicated to the brilliant person who made the book cover for this story and the sequel! :) Thanks orangecow.

Chapter 27: God Works In Wondrous Ways

Soon after, her mother left to inform the doctors about the decision Leila made. Leila sat, frozen in her chair. A part of her wanted to let go, while another part wanted to hold on. What if he actually survives through this? What if the doctors are wrong?

“I don’t think I can do this,” Leila choked out.

‘You can sis. Please let me go,’ her brother pleaded.

“But Louis! I still need you in my life,” she whined.

‘We’ve gotten through this already. Please Leila. It pains me to see you like that. Let me go, please. I promised to watch over you no matter what. I don’t intend on going back on that promise,’ the invisible voice cried out.

“Okay,” Leila looked up to see a stray tear fall out of her brother’s shut eyes. She wiped it away and cooed, “There, there. Don’t cry now, Louis. You might make me change my mind. If this makes you happy, then I will. I’ll let you go.”

‘Thank you so much sis. I love you.’

“I love you too, brother.”

The door creaked open and in walked the doctor with her mother behind him. He slowly reached the bedside and put his hand on the plug. Slowly, he turned his head towards her mother, asking for permission. Leila’s mother looked back at her.

“I want to do it myself,” Leila muttered, making the doctor drop his hands.

“Are you sure?” The doctor’s brows creased in worry and shock.

“Yes. He is my brother,” Leila walked over to him.

“Are you sure about this, Mrs. McCormick? There is no written consent about pulling the plug… I just thought that you would be the one to do it. You are his mother,” the doctor looked at Leila and then her mother.

“Let her do it, please. I don’t think I’ll be able to let my son go…” her mother trailed as tears streamed down her cheeks.

“If that’s what you wish,” The doctor muttered as he nodded his head.

“I will always love you Louis. You better keep your promise,” she whispered as the machines went dead.

Her brother’s chest jolted upwards; she reached for his hand and felt him give hers a little squeeze.

‘I love you too sis. Thank you.’

With that, his body went limp. His firm grip was replaced by a loose one. Everything in the room stood frozen and remained quiet. The beeping of the machines was finally gone.

The doctor looked at Leila then her mother. He decided to walk out and give them time to take it all in. The click and creaking of the door was the only sound heard throughout the room.

Her mother shakily walked over to her, taking in everything. She shook her head from side to side, not believing any of it.

“No! My baby,” tears flowed down her cheeks heavily as she gasped for air. Her chest started to puff in and out as she started to hyperventilate.

Another click of the door sounded off in the room. Her father walked in with tired eyes. His droopy eyes went wide as he looked at his daughter, wife, son and the machines. This was what he feared the most.