Chapter 40: Circle of Life

NOT edited*

Chapter 40: Circle of Life

 A year later…

“I miss you so much darling… I thought that those seven years were painful… This kind of pain I’m feeling right now cannot even compare to that,” his gray hair fell upon his eyes as tears poured out. “It’s been three months, but it still feels like yesterday when you told me you loved me. I can still feel your lips on mine and your smell! God, your smell still manages to keep me in a daze. I miss you so much, Liana.”

“We miss her too,” Leila spoke softly. Nicolai snapped his head to the left, feeling a sense of warmth and happiness take over him. He looked at her for a few more seconds, until Mason came into view. He looked at Mason and then at the bundle of joy he was holding. She stared at him with her mother’s blue eyes, holding him under a spell. A soft wail broke out in the air, making him laugh.

Mason cooed her, calming her down. “Liana Rose, meet your uncle.” She giggled lightly, keeping him in a trance. Her brown hair and beautiful blue eyes looked at him with curiosity.

“Hello there, little Liana Rose. It’s very nice to meet you. Although, I think it’s very weird to meet a newborn baby in a cemetery,” Nicolai sent Leila a wink and Mason a small smile.

“How are you holding up?” Leila stepped forward, placing a bouquet of roses on the cold, marble stone.

“I’ve been getting through everything. It still feels weird you know… To think that I’d get used to living without her, because of those seven years…I guess it finally sunk in. She’s gone and never coming back,” his voice full of sorrow made her heart squeeze. Leila hated seeing people in pain, especially those around her.

“We are deeply sorry for your loss, Mr. Taylor,” Mason stepped forward, placing his free hand on his shoulder. Liana Rose’s blue eyes shone brightly, instantly pulling him into those dark depths of ocean blue orbs.

“Oh please! After all these years, I thought you would’ve gotten used to calling me by my first name. This little bundle of yours is adorable. Thank you so much. She would’ve been jumping for joy,” Nicolai grinned widely, coddling with Liana Rose in his arms.

“We’re sorry we couldn’t make it to the funeral. We didn’t know until a few months ago. Only last week did the doctor tell us that Liana Rose was allowed to travel by air,” Leila looked at her little girl proudly, loving the fact that she inherited her father’s chocolate brown hair.

“It’s okay with me. But seriously, I know my Liana would’ve been truly honored to hear about you naming your baby girl after her. Liana Rose Carmichael, what a beautiful name,” Liana Rose just stared back at him, as if she was trying to memorize his face.

“We’ve decided on that name the day we found out we were having a baby girl,” Mason smiled brightly.

“I know. It’s amazing how she was born the day Liana died… It’s almost as if it was all planned,” Leila stared off into the sky, feeling the warmth of the air blowing against her. A smile crept upon her face... Somehow she felt connected with Liana. It was like she was there with them.

“Liana has always told me that for every death, there’s life. I never fully understood that, until now… Thank you for finally making me understand… It is the circle of life,” Nicolai looked back at the adorable angel in his arms, feeling her shift around. He spun her around lightly, causing her to giggle and bring out her beautiful dimples. “I suggest you buy a licensed gun and lots of ammo, Mason. This girl of yours will definitely become a heart breaker,” Nicolai murmured, with amusement and hint of seriousness in his voice.

“You don’t have to tell me twice,” Mason sighed deeply.

“Mason!” Leila elbowed him, trying to fight the smile that was forming on her face. “Men these days.”

“I just want what’s best for my girl,” Mason smiled at her innocently, while taking Liana Rose back. Liana Rose buried her small head into his neck, loving the warmth and comfort his father provided him.

“I thought I was your girl!” Leila whined playfully.

“You were, until she came along. Now you’re my woman,” he winked, causing a blush to quickly rise upon her cheeks. Nicolai stared at them, feeling a huge weight come off his shoulders.

“I remembered when we were like that,” Nicolai sighed and whispered, “I wish you were here. You would be holding and spoiling your little niece right now. I miss and love you so much, my Liana.”

Liana Rose stuck her head out of her father’s shoulders and looked at Nicolai. Nicolai looked back at her and smiled. Connected, that's what he felt.

“It’s the circle of life,” he repeated to himself.

“Shall we head home? I think that Liana Rose is really tired,” Leila took her baby girl back into her arms. Every waking moment spent with her little angel brought joy and excitement into her life. Having Mason by her side, supporting her every step of the way was just a big bonus.

“I think we should. The jet lag is finally catching up to me,” Mason looked back at Nicolai.

“I was going to head down to your house too. Abigail has assigned me on garden duties,” Nicolai chuckled at the memory of the fiery red head- Mason’s sister was in love with.

“I don’t think that necessary. We can always do it. Thank you so much for taking care of that for us.”

“Oh no, I insist. It’s not like I have something better to do anyways,” Nicolai gave Liana Rose a small peck on her forehead and drove out of the deserted cemetery.

“Oh well,” Mason mumbled, placing Liana into her pink car seat and driving back home.

“I’ll get her. Just get the diaper bags please,” Leila unbuckled her sleeping baby girl and held her with the utmost care and caution.

“I don’t see Nicolai anywhere,” Mason muttered, looking at their empty driveway.

“Maybe he went home to change,” Leila shrugged, unlocking their front door.

As soon as the door burst open, a couple of loud shouts boomed all over the house. “Surprise!” they all cheered in unison.

Liana Rose stirred and opened her eyes widely. From her throat rose a loud shrill. Hot tears poured from her eyes as her face quickly turned pink. 

Time seemed to stop...

A couples of gasps echoed through the crowd.

Two pairs of surprised, bulging eyeballs met Leila’s furious ones.

--------------------------------------------END OF CHAPTER 40-----------------------------------

Tell me what you think?

Sorry if this was too late. 

One more, maybe the Epilogue? :P