Chapter 32: How Cliche Can My Life Get?

Jason pulled into a familiar lime green house. The rain was still pouring. Jason shrugged his jacket off and handed it to Leila. She put it on and covered her head with the hood.

They both ran for the porch, but the relentless rain soaked them through. Leila’s teeth began to chatter as Jason fumbled through his pockets, in search of his house keys. Leila knelt down and looked under his mat. Smirking, she held up his spare key in her hand. He snatched it and smiled sheepishly.

“I forgot about that,” he mumbled as she stepped into his home. Warmth enveloped her and the same cranberry scent invaded her nostrils.

“Your house is still the same,” she looked around finding the some pictures on the wall and the pieces of furniture crowding the living room. The home still looked warm and inviting.

“My mom comes over for a visit at times. She stays here whenever I go on my book tours,” Jason sighed, plopping down on the couch. Midway through it, Leila pulled him up.

“You’re going to make the couch wet! Go change into a pair of dry clothes first. While you’re at it, can you grab some clean clothes for me too?” She smiled at him sweetly.

“Still the same old Leila. Still as demanding and irresistible as ever,” he shook his head, heading off into his bedroom. He took out a pair of clean shorts and a big shirt. Then, he quickly stripped and put on a pair of dry clothes. He walked back into the living room and found Leila looking at the pictures on the wall. “I was the best man,” he sighed loudly as he looked at the picture. Leila looked so breathtaking in her long white gown, with her curly blond locks framing her face. Her arms slung around his shoulder as his snaked around her waist. Jason smiled widely as he looked at Leila who wore her goofy grin.

“Oh,” she replied as she turned to face him. “Thanks,” she whispered, as she took the clean clothes from his hands. Leila walked straight into the bathroom and changed into his clothes. His manly scent invaded her nose. She took a big sniff of his clothing before heading out into the living room.

“What movie do you want to watch?” Jason asked, scanning through his collections of DVDs.

“I’m up for anything Channing Tatum related,” Leila smirked as she saw his face fall.

“You and your obsession over that guy,” he grumbled as he put the movie on.

“You’re lucky I didn’t request for anything Twilight related. I mean, come on! Who would choose a sparkling, hairy vampire over a really hot werewolf? Who, might I add, has some yummy eight pack and shaves,” Leila jumped on the couch. Sighing, Jason sat down next to her with the remote in his hands.

“I could never really get what you women love about that. I mean it’s just stupid! And shaves? Maybe he hasn’t reached puberty yet.”

“I feel you. I think that Edward used his vampire powers and somehow seduced Bella. If I were her, I would’ve chosen my best friend over anyone else. And stop being such a hater,” she shrugged.

“Really?” Jason pressed on.

“Of course. I don’t believe in the whole ‘love-ruining-your-friendship’ theory. If you guys are really best friends, then you’d be friends till the end… Even if the relationship doesn’t work. Plus, your best friend knows you better than others do. I just think that people should start taking risks,” Leila sighed frustratingly, grabbing the remote from him. “You are great at distracting me, you know that?”

“If only…” he trailed as she pressed play.

“If only what?” Leila snapped her head towards him.

“If only you didn’t press play, I could’ve made some popcorn for us to munch on,” he said in one breath.

“It’s okay. I’m not hungry anyways,” she looked back at the television screen.

Jason sat through the whole movie, watching Leila’s expressions change. She’d often sigh dramatically every time Channing came on shirtless or in his army uniform. She cried on some of the depressing parts of the movie.

“Damn it. I hate it when guys cry in movies,” she sniffed, wiping her tears away.

Jason chuckled as he helped her wipe some of the tears away. “It’s just a movie. Relax.”

“Ugh, men,” she huffed as she crossed her arms over her chest.

“Hey! I cry too… Just not over some stupid movie,” Jason held his hands up in surrender.

“I’m sure you do. And this movie is not stupid. It talks about everlasting love and-“

“I’ve read the book. He’s supposed to sacrifice his dad’s coin collection to donate it to his lover’s husband. The husband survives in the end. He’s some kind of stalker, watching her look up at the full moon,” Jason shrugged. He never liked the movies that were adapted from books. They sugarcoat way too many parts.

“Whatever,” Leila huffed in defeat. She leaned her head on his shoulder. Putting his arms around her, they both relaxed into each other.

Halfway through the movie, Leila dozed off. Jason stayed for a couple of minutes, listening to her snore lightly. Well, it was more of breathing deeply.

Finally concluding that she was fast asleep, he scooped her into his arms and walked over to one of his guest rooms. He placed her gently on the bed and placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

“If only you knew how much I love you Leila… I am hopelessly in love with you… I had been and I’m afraid, I always will be. For years, I’ve tried to convince that I only loved you like a sister, but all of that changed that one day. The day you announced that you were engaged and the day Mason begged me to be his best man. Every single step you took towards the altar broke my heart, you know that? I had spent all these years, looking after you and hoping that you’d start to develop feelings for me. Mason spent years making you miserable, yet you learned to love him. Every single day I’m asking myself what if? What if I confessed my feelings for you before? Would we be together right now? Would we have gone to Prom as dates? Would I now be the lucky man to call you his bride? Oh well, I know it’s too late now. Mason doesn’t know how lucky he is… How much I envy him. You’re lucky to have him too. No one has ever made you as happy as he did. I hope that you can see that Leila… I hope that you can be happy again. That’s all I want,” he kissed her cheek and walked out of the door. With one more glance, he shut the door lightly.

Leila’s eyes fluttered opened. She groggily sat up, letting his words sink in. Jason loved her? Wait, he said that he was IN love with her!She shook her head lightly as she rubbed her eyes furiously. This cannot be happening!

Feelings many emotions pass through her, she did one thing that was like second nature to her.... She cried all of her sadness and frustrations away.

"I married my long time enemy and now I find out that one of my best friends is in love with me. How cliche can my life get," she whispered to herself frustratingly.

She didn't know what to do. Would she go on with her life? Would she give Jason a chance? What if her memory comes back? Will she regret ever letting Mason go? Though she was confused and uncertain about many things, she was absolutely sure about one thing...

Fate was really against her.

------------------------END OF CHAPTER 32--------------------------

Vote, comment and do whatever you please.

To those who want chapters DEDICATED to them, tell me! 

Just make sure that the chapter isn't dedicated to someone else already.

Thanks for reading <3