eighteen

bit of a filler chapter sorry, but enjoy anyway :)

I held Scott until we fell to sleep.

We woke this morning, his head on my chest and his arm slung over my body, my hand on his back and the other behind my head. Wrapped up warm, comfortable, safe.

We talked for hours, about how he knew he was gay, why he was scared and what his next steps were going to be. He told me that his parents would never except it, and that I'm the only person that knows. Not even Kirstie, Avi or Kevin know, just me. Then he cried again about how grateful he was to have me. So I lay him down, pulled his back against my chest, and wrapped my arms around him until he fell to sleep.

I know, what's happened to me? I've gone soft, like a cookie that's been left out for too long.

I don't know what's gonna happen now. I'm probably gonna go drink some vodka, eat some junk food, then work out in the gym for about four days until I've burnt the fat off.

I didn't sleep well at all last night. Once Scott had stopped sniffling and fell asleep, I closed my eyes and tried to clear my head, but it was an impossible task. He's gay, he really is gay. The whole straight thing was a lie, and I knew it all along. I'm not angry, I was kinda pissed off that he didn't tell me but I wasn't angry at all. I know how hard it can be. But now I'm nervous, it could all change between us.

"Mitchy?"

I snap out of my internal monologue, "Hm?"

I look down at Scott as he looks up at me from my chest, finally waking up.

"You're awake..."

"I know," I say quietly, "I didn't sleep well.."

"I'm sorry.."

"No, no it wasn't you. Just a lot on my mind I guess."

"Like I said, I'm sorry.. I should have just told you, or at least not told you I was straight. It's not fair on you."

"Scotty," I sigh, stroking the back of his head, "stop it. I understand why you did what you did, I get it. You're still my best friend aren't you?"

"I am.."

"So nothing's changed, everything is the same. You're still my number one, sis."

"Good," Scott smiles, looking up at me before pulling me against his chest, basically swapping positions. I close my eyes, melting into his arms and thinking about how things are gonna turn out. He's gay, and my stupid little crush might not be such a bad thing after all.

"Thank you so much, Mitchy... I- I.. Thank you.."

"I've got you, Blondie," I sigh, mentally cursing myself. This is such a bad idea. I fell for straight Scott, for the tough, kinda quiet Scott. And I know it sounds stupid, but I don't know how things will be now that he's gay. All of the little touches, comments, they all mean something now, I mean... They did before, but now they could mean something else. Ugh, whatever. I'm Mitch, I don't give in to my feelings, I'm a bitch and that's how it's staying.

"Mitchy, you know because you love me?"

"Mm.." I groan, poking his ribs gently, "what are you after?"

"Can we make waffles?"

I smile into his chest, kissing the skin lightly.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING, STOP KISSING HIM. ACT NORMAL.

"100%."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Pass me the eggs?"

I practically leap over to the refrigerator, grabbing the eggs before running them over to Scott. Acting 'normal' when everything feels strange is frickin' tiring. I've never fake smiled for so long in my life.

"That was energetic," Scott laughs, "you okay?"

"What?" I smile, laughing for a few seconds, "yeah, I'm fine. Really fine, in fact. I'm great, couldn't be better, I'm gonna go make a coffee. Do you want a coffee? I'll make you a coffee, yeah, okay."

With a grin I turn towards the coffee machine, mentally kicking myself in the nuts for being so over the top.

"Okay?" Scott says quietly, laughing quietly as he whisks something in a bowl.

I close my eyes, shaking my head as I press the appropriate buttons on the coffee machine and stay facing it.

Scott makes me jump as he wraps his arms around my waist, pressing his chest against my back and resting his chin on my shoulder.

"You don't have to pretend, you know," he whispers, "I know you're trying to make things normal."

I sigh heavily. He could tell that I was acting weird. Frick.

"It just feels weird, Scotty.." I say quietly, resting my head back against his shoulder, "not because you're gay, I mean, that's fine of course. I just.. Is it all gonna change now?"

"No?" He replies, a concerned tone ringing through his voice, "it's gonna be exactly the same. I'm gay, that's all. But... Well, you're the only person that knows so I- could you just.. Uh-"

"I won't tell anyone, Scott."

"Thank you.." Scott takes a deep breath, "it's just I'm gonna tell my parents tonight, it's our last meal together so I figured I probably should."

"What about Avi and the others?"

"They'll find out too," Scott sighs, "they'll be at the meal... Fuck, I'm scared Mitch."

"Hey," I frown, shuffling my body around so I'm facing him, my back pressed against the kitchen surface and my front pressed against him, "it will be okay, Scotty. They all love you, they'll accept it."

I realise now how close I am to Scott. Our chests are touching, Scott's hands are on either side of my body, resting on the counter and locking me in place. My hands are in front of me, playing with the fabric of Scott's top, and our faces are only centimetres apart, his warm breath hitting the skin of my forehead.

He smiles slowly, looking directly into my eyes with a soft gaze.

"Thank you, Mitchy.." Scott says quietly, "I know I keep thanking you but I really mean it, no one's ever really stuck by me like you have.."

"You're a cheesy lil' shit," I laugh, pushing his chest lightly and turning back towards the machine to pour the coffee. Scott remains behind me, leaning down and kissing the side of my neck.

Tingles.

He lingers there for a second before moving away, taking his cup of coffee and turning back towards the waffles.

"You say that everything is normal then you try and turn me on?" I say sarcastically, turning towards Scott with my brow raised.

"What? I- I wasn't trying to.. I was just- I didn't mean-"

"I was joking," I laugh, walking towards Scott and wrapping my arms around his neck, "kiss my neck all you like, just don't blame me if I leap on you."

"I don't need to kiss your neck for you to leap on me," Scott giggles, kissing the skin below my ear, "I'm irresistible."

"Pfft, in your dreams, noodle." I scoff, closing my eyes and squirming under the touch of Scott's lips, "but seriously, stop kissing my neck. I'm needy and you're hot, never a good combination."