4

Chapter Four
❅❅❅

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." - Sigmund Freud.

❅❅❅

I can't beat them.

Mina woke up to the sound of her alarm ringing, and the negativity bugging her at the back of her mind.

She sat up quickly in bed, and rubbed her eyes. The sunlight streamed in through the curtains, making her squint slightly.

She yawned, and slowly stepped off of her bed, and stretched.

I don't want to go to school, dammit.

She was walking with her eyes closed, and tripped over a basket that was currently occupied by her pet rabbit.

"Ah!! I'm so sorry, Cookie!" Mina cried, as she bent down to her rabbit's level.

She apologized repeatedly to her brown furred rabbit who had a cute red ribbon  with a bell that was tied around its neck.

Mina then changed into her school uniform quickly, before going down to grab breakfast. She fed Cookie first, before popping two bread into the toaster.

With a toast in between her lips, she hoisted her school bag higher onto her shoulder and knocked softly on the door of her father's study.

"Dad?"

She pushed open the door, and walked in.

Her father was lying on the couch in the corner of the room. It wasn't that he didn't have his own bed and his own room, it was just that he always spent his time in the study.

He used to work as a history professor in a university, but Mina never really remembered the name of the university.

Now, he is a retired teacher. Instead, he's helping run the cafe that used to be under the management of his wife.

His deceased wife...

"He's been working overnight again." Mina sighed, as she draped a blanket over his body.

She placed a soft kiss on his forehead, and smiled, "Sleep tight. I'm off to school now."

❅❅❅

Mina was greeted by the cheerfulness of her best friend, the moment she stepped into school grounds.

"It's today!! Today!" Ryu squealed, jumping up and down as she clutched Mina's arm tightly.

"What's happening today?" Mina asked, slightly irritated that there was such loud noise early in the morning.

Ryu gasped dramatically, and she shook Mina, "I just told you yesterday! Seventeen is-"

Before Ryu could finish her sentence, two cars pulled up behind Mina.

That was when Mina realized she hadn't moved an inch since arriving ten minutes ago.