Chapter 5: Charlie's Mistake

Narrator P.O.V

School had finally ended and the school's parking lot filled with talking, laughing and screaming teens, "They sure are loud." Bella complained.

Katnis placed her hand on Bella's arm,"Just ignore them." she says.

Bella glances over at Katnis and sighs, "How can you be so calm through all of this?" she asked.

Katnis sighed,"I think about other things that keep me calm."

"Like what?"

Katnis smiled to herself, her gaze drifting towards the sky before meeting Bellas gaze,"Mom. She keeps me calm. When I think of her, her smile, her laugh, her voice...It calms me. She's all that occupy my mind at the moment." She confessed.

Bella couldn't help the smile that graced her lips. Katnis, without realizing it, opened up to her about their mother,"Thank you." Bella says.

Katnis raised a brow at her in confusion,"What for, exactly?"

"Telling me that. I haven't heard you speak about Mom since the day she died. It's nice to know that you think about her, too." She says.

Katnis forced a smile but spoke her next words truthfully,"I think about Mom every day. I loved her, still do, and I miss her all the time. Bella, just because I don't speak about her doesn't mean I don't think about her because I do every second of every day." She says,"I can't help thinking about her. She meant everything to me and now she's gone. I will never stop thinking about her."

Bella nods,"I know and I'm sorry if I upset you. I just... you haven't really said much since it happened."

Katnis sighs,"I know that you and dad are worried about me but there really is no need to." She says softly,"I really am alright. I'm not going fall apart when you're not looking." She chuckled at the end.

"After what happened, after what you were forced to go through, we just can't help worrying about you." Bella says,"What happened to you was unreal and a lot to deal with. We just want you to know that we are here for you."

Katnis wrapped Bella in a hug,"I know and I will do my best to speak to you and dad whenever I feel like things are becoming too much." She says.

Bella wraps her arms around her sister and kisses her hair,"Thank you."

Charlie's House:

Katnis and Bella walked into the house side by side,"Dad!" Bella called out for him,"We're home!"

Katnis smiles,"Yeah, announce us like we're celebrities." She says.

Bella gently pushed her,"Whatever."

"Hey, how was school?" He questioned, kissing them both on the head before going back to cleaning his shot gun at the dining room table.

"It wasn't that bad." Bella says before turning towards a stiff Katnis who was staring at the gun.

"Dad!" Bella hissed, moving to stand in front of Kat is, blocking her view of the gun.

Charlie cursed himself before quickly removing the gun from the room,"Katnis, sweetie I am so sorry." He says, moving to hug her.

Katnis embraced her father, taking in the smell of his clothes,"It's fine, Dad." She says before pulling away,"You're the sheriff. Having firearms are a requirement, they come with the job description." She says softly before forcing a small smile,"I'm the sheriff's daughter. I have to get use to seeing you with Firearms. Mind as well start as soon as possible."

Charlie glanced at Bella, over her shoulder, before meeting her gaze once again,"Are you sure? Sweetie, I can leave them at the office if you want." He says.

She smiles and leans forward to kiss his cheek,"Don't worry about me, Dad, I'm fine." She says before stepping around him,"Leave them be." She says as she made her way into the kitchen.

Charlie looks over at his eldest, Bella, before following Katnis into the kitchen,"Katnis, honey, I never want to make you uncomfortable, so if me having these here does that I can and will get rid of them." He states.

Katnis turns around and smiles,"Thanks, Dad, but that won't be necessary." She says,"I can deal with it...I'll just need a little time is all."

He places both hands on her shoulder,"Sweetie, are you sure?"

She nods,"I'm sure." She says before glancing behind him at Bella,"I'm sure, I promise you both."