Chapter 24: Cullen Residence Pt. 2

"So, Katnis, how old are you?" Esme asked.

"Sixteen. I'll be seventeen in April of next year," she says.

"April what?" Alice asked.

"The 25th of April," Katnis chuckles at her excitement.

"Look, I don't mean to be rude or anything but we do have a bit of a problem," Rosalie says calmly,

"What is it, Rose?" Carlisle asked.

"This. Katnis. Her being here, around us, is a problem," she states, "It's dangerous for us all, including her,"

"Rosalie, you should know that I would never speak of what I know to anyone." Katnis says, "Even if I did they would lock me up in a mental hospital."

"She knows that," Esme says.

"Well, the problem is...you and Edward have gone public with, whatever you call yourselves, now so..."

"Rosalie!" Carlisle warned in a low tone.

"No, she should know! Our entire family will be implicated if things end badly!" she hissed, "That's all I'm saying,"

Katnis meets Rosalie' gaze, "Badly as in I become dinner," Everyone chuckles, Emmetts' laughter could be heard from in the other room, "Well, you have nothing to worry about, Rosalie. I would never do anything to risk you and your family. Ever."

Rosalie stares at her for a moment longer before sighing, "I believe you." she says.

Once they were done cooking Katnis sat down to eat, "Katnis, do you mind if I ask you a question or two?" Carlisle asked.

She shakes her head, "Ask away,"

"Thank you. Um, the night Edward had dinner at your home he told me what you did in order to make eating human food bearable," he says.

"Yes. I um, I added my blood to his portion of the food," she states, "I would have gone out to get a mountain lion's blood but I doubt I would have survived that hunt,"

Everyone laughs,"What made you do that? Add your blood to his portion?" he asked.

"I remember how intoxicating he said my blood is and it got me to thinking about whether or not adding my blood would help make dinner less...tasteful for him," she says, "I guess I was right,"

"Yes. Edward tells me that it was a success," he says.

"I'm just happy that I could make dinner less uncomfortable."

"You did more than that, Katnis."

"What do you mean?"

"Anytime we've eaten human food our bodies usually reject it."

"Yes, he told me."

"Edwards' body has yet to reject the food he consumed at dinner with you and your family yesterday." he states, "I believe your blood mixed with the food may have helped him to digest it as he would blood."

"Really? His body really hasn't rejected it yet?"

Esme shakes her head, "Carlisle speaks the truth," she smiles brightly.

"That's...great! Maybe now you can enjoy human food, once again, from now on,"

"Yes! That would be great!" Alice squeals before embracing her from behind, "Thank you! Already you're a blessing to our family!"

Katnis laughs, "I wouldn't say that but I'm glad I could help."

"How's lunch?" Edwards' voice sounded from behind her.