Chapter 20: Awake Dreaming

Charlie had been angry about what had happened to Katnis but after Bella sat him down - after Charlie allowed Edward to take Katnis up to her room - and explained to him what happened he seemed to calm down. A little.

"Why has he not come down yet?" Charlie asked, getting to his feet after noticing that Edward had not come from upstairs,"His sister left ten minutes ago."

"Where are you going?" Bella asked, getting to her feet as well.

"Upstairs to get him." he says.

Bella reaches for his arm, "Dad, no!"

CHarlie glances back at his daughter with wide eyes, "No?" he eyes her, "Bella, what's going on?"

She shakes her head, "Nothing. I just think you should let Edward have some time with her. He was worried sick about her." she says, her eyes drifting towards the stairs.

"What aren't you telling me, Bella?" Charlie asked concerned.

"It's nothing dad."

"Bella -"

"It's not my place to tell you, dad."

"If it has to do with my daughter and why Edward hasn't come down yet you need to tell me." he states, "Or I'm going up there right now." he threatened.

Bella shakes her head.

Without hesitation, Charlie turned around and head for the stairs, "Fine." he grumbled.

In a panic, Bella blurts out Edwards' words from earlier, "He's in love with her!" she cries out before her hands flew to her mouth and her eyes widen.

Charlie froze mid step and his back went rigid. Had he heard her correctly? DId she just say that he was in love with his little girl?

Don't pretend like you hadn't noticed how he looks at her.

Bella took a few steps in her fathers direction as he slowly and rigidly turned around and met her gaze, "What did you just say?"

"He's in love with her, dad." she sighed, "Edward's in love with Katnis."

Charlie shakes his head, "No, that can't be right. He's just smitten with her." he tried to come up with another excuse but deep down he knew his daughter was right.

Edward Cullen was in love with his little girl.

"Come on, dad. Don't pretend like you haven't noticed how he looks at her or how he acts around her. It's like he mimics her every move, moving when she does, smiling when she does." she states in awe, "He breaths for her. He would do anything for her."

"He can't have her, Bella. He can't have my little girl." Charlie argued.

"He's not taking her any where, dad. He would never take her from us."

"You can't possibly know that, Bella. If he's so in love with her like you say, if anything you have just said is true, he will want her to himself. Maybe not today or a year from now but one day he will."

"I do know that dad. Edward knows how important family is to Katnis and he would never do anything to hurt or nor would he seperate her from us."

Charlie takes a deep breath as he ran his fingers through his hair, "And you're sure he's in love with her?"

She nods, "He told me himself." she says.

"I need to sit down." he says and walks over to the couch and sits down.

"You should have seen him earlier, dad. The look on his face when he was Katnis was like someone had ripped his heart from his chest. You could literally see the pain and heartbreak in his eyes." Bella says taking a seat beside her father, leaning back into the couch "And when he told me he loved her, that he was in love with her, I could see it in his eyes that he meant every word. Dad, you don't have to worry about Edward hurting her because he won't."