34. Too Much to Ask

"I made a mistake" I say, my voice shaking.

"If you say that one more time, you're going to make me make a mistake" Dan threatens.

I chuckle, tapping my foot on the ground. We've arrived safely to our seats, but now I'm so close to the stage, I start wondering if I made the right choice.

Everything that's been happening seems to point at the fact that I shouldn't be here: I fell asleep after lunch, and if it weren't because Dan is a good friend, I would still be sleeping.

He agreed to come with me because Natalie already had tickets with her friends, Val had a show and I didn't want to be by myself.

"So... How was the farewell dinner yesterday?" Dan asks in an attempt to take my mind off things.

"It was great" I answer with a big smile on my face, "I got to talk to Dr. Olson and she still thinks I'm going to be a great doctor in a couple of years"

"Did you ever question that?"

"Questioned what?"

"That you're going to be a great doctor"

"Well,... no. But up until this year, I didn't have the chance to actually be a doctor. I didn't know how I was going to react when I had to face certain situations... This year, however, I've seen some patients die. I've seen babies be born. I've seen people who thought they were not going to make it walk out of the hospital fully recovered... It's been an amazing experience. More or less like this one is going to be for you, huh?" I dare to joke, "You've never been to a One Direction concert before" I smirk.

"This is the kind of information I don't need people to know"

"Oh, come on, Dan; don't start on how embarrassed you are to be here because it's music only girls listen to"

"I won't deny their music has improved a lot and that they're really cool lads, but..."

"Lads?" I cut him laughing loudly, "Oh, my God, Dan! You're definitely British now!"

"Shut up!" he jumps, "You were talking about your time at the hospital"

I shake my head.

"As cliché as it may sound, it's taught me a lot about life... And about who I am and who I want to be"

"Does this mean you know what you'll say to Niall when you see him?" Dan questions.

As an answer, the music from the speakers stops and the lights go off. The arena is immediately filled with a loud roar as the stage screens start displaying the intro video.

"Woah" Dan can't help when the pyrotechnics appear from behind the stage and the boys walk in.

But I can't even smile.

He's there.

I know the other four boys are with him, but my eyes can only see him: Niall. His hair is longer now, and his brown roots are visible from even a couple of dozen feet away. He jumps up and down the stage, but it feels like he's missing something. Or someone.

 Or someone