FOUR

"You almost blinded him, Lauren. You're lucky it wasn't that serious," Luigi said, peering on his friend behind his glasses.

Lauren sighed deeply. The news about the accident reached Dustin, and obviously, he told it to Luigi.

"He's been annoying me since day one, okay? I didn't mean to throw the pencil, I was so angry and I got too carried away!" She felt attacked because everyone seemed to put all the blame on her.

"Hey, love. I'm your friend, alright? I'm on your side, don't yell at me," Luigi said gently.

"Sorry."

He stroked her back. "I understand you. But Lauren, you seriously need to control your anger. I mean, what if Zayn got blind? Your conscience won't let you sleep at night."

"I know," she replied, then sighed. "And honestly, I never had anger issues before. I'm one of the calmest people out there and you know that."

"Well, he's really getting in on your nerves. That's why." 

Lauren stared at her computer. Zayn wasn't just simply getting on her nerves. He was eating her sanity. He's not just a pain in the neck, but an absolute pain in the ass. 

She had to admit, she was shaking and worried when she went with Harris and Zayn at the hospital. The doctor said that Zayn was really lucky because the pencil's sharp tip almost damaged an important nerve in his iris. Lauren couldn't remember what it was called because she was too nervous. However, the specialist said that the swelling and pain could last for more than a week, so he gave him a couple of different eye drops to soothe and ease the pain. Zayn also had to wear an eye patch to avoid the infections the wind and dust particles could bring.

She insisted on paying for the medicines and hospital bills, but Zayn didn't accept it. However, he wanted her to apologize. Which she didn't do. Yes, she threw a pencil at him and almost blinded him, but he didn't apologize for kissing her and humiliating her repeatedly. 

So, at the end of the day, no apologies were muttered from neither of them and they went home hating each other more.

She thought the injury would somehow change Zayn even just a little bit. But no. The bloke even threw a party in his house last night. She was forced to sleep on the couch just to get away from the loud music and not-so-surprising moans and thumps on her bedroom wall. She didn't dare to knock and confront him again. The last thing she wanted to see was that bastard's face.

"Hi, Lauren," Anna greeted, breaking her thoughts. "Uhm, is there any vacant unit in your apartment?"

Both Luigi and Lauren looked up at her.

"No, I don't think so," Lauren replied. "The last vacant unit was the one beside me, and someone already moved there." She couldn't even say the name of her neighbor coz it would make her cringe.

Anna pouted. "That's sad. Do you need a roommate? We can split the rent. I'm willing to shoulder the electricity and other bills."

Luigi frowned at Anna. "Lauren's apartment has only one room, Anna."

Anna shrugged. "I can sleep on the couch. Or I'll put my bed on the corner of the living room."

"No, Anna. Sorry, I don't need a roommate," Lauren said. She could never imagine herself sharing her apartment with someone else. It was her sanctuary, a place where she could be alone. Where she wouldn't get judged even if she wasn't brushing her hair or if she was dressing like a homeless person.

"Think about it, Lauren. You can save a lot of money!" Anna said, trying her best to convince her.

Luigi butted in. "Why do you want to move in Lauren's apartment? Yours was way better compared to hers. Are you broke?"