FORTY ONE

Lauren tiredly removed her shoes and dropped them on the floor. She slowly sat on the couch, lifting her legs and stretching them in front of her. Every inch of her body was screaming in pain.

Work was lighter today, but she was burning with fever since last night. The heavy rain made her really sick. She woke up this morning with a horrendous headache, high body temperature and aching joints. If only she could skip work, she would.

"How are you, darling?" her mother asked worriedly, wiping her hands to the apron she was wearing.

"You're home early," Lauren smiled weakly. She didn't notice Lily's car in the garage, she literally ran inside their house because it was raining cats and dogs outside.

"Because you're sick," Lily said, placing a palm on her daughter's hot forehead. "Did you take your medicine after lunch?"

"I did," she confirmed, almost groaning because of her throbbing head. She clenched her eyes shut to ease the pain, then started to remove her slightly wet coat.

Lily sighed, worry crossing her features. When Lauren completely removed her coat, she squinted silently at the purplish mark below her collarbone.

She gently cleared her throat. "Why did you wait for me under the rain last night?" she asked tenderly, picking up Lauren's coat from the sofa. "You should've just waited for me in Liam's house. It's just a few blocks away."

Lily didn't fail to catch the sudden change in Lauren's reactions. Her face dropped and a thin cloud of panic surfaced in her child's eyes. But she didn't say anything.

Lauren licked her dry and burning lips. "I uh...I forgot about it. I was so tired yesterday."

Her mother just nodded. She knew very well what the purple mark on Lauren's skin was, but she stayed mute. Her daughter was currently sick and obviously dealing with a lot of things and she didn't want to make it worse. She would just talk to her when she's feeling better.

"I made some soup for you, Lo," Lily smiled. "I'll prepare the table for you so you could eat and take your medicine," she added, then flashed another thoughtful smile before leaving.

Lauren nodded. She took her phone out from her bag, expecting to see a text or a missed call from Zayn, but there was nothing. They haven't talked since yesterday after they argued about the same old reasons and it was driving her insane. She tried to call him the whole day but Zayn's phone was out of reach and she didn't have any idea why.

She wanted to hear his voice. His voice would always make her feel better, it was more effective than the strongest medicines out there. It was all she ever needed. But it seemed to her that Zayn decided to give her a cold and silent treatment.

Aside from hearing his voice, she also wanted to talk to him. Guilt had been crawling over her skin since last night. She did a terrible, very terrible mistake and her conscience didn't let her sleep. She felt nasty. She let another man touch her and kiss her and she wasn't sure if she could forgive herself for that.

Lauren shut her eyes in shame when scenes from last night flooded in her brain. She genuinely thought that it was Zayn who was kissing her. She was carried away. But when Liam spoke, that's when she realized everything. His voice pulled her back to earth.

She wanted to tell the truth to Zayn. She wanted to be honest. She was really worried about how he would take it, if he would break up with her or what, but she never wanted a relationship which was full of lies. Zayn had been so patient and loyal to her and the man deesrved to know the truth.

And whatever the consequences would be, she would accept it.

"Lolo, dinner is ready," her mother called, smashing her thoughts. She slowly rose from the couch and headed to the dining table.