FORTY SIX

Poppy took the tray of oysters from Lauren's hands. "You alright, sis?"

"Me? Yeah. Of course I am," Lauren blinked.

"You've been holding that tray for five minutes now, Lolo. Too scared to join and eat with Zayn in the dining table?"

"I'm not scared," she uttered sternly. "I was just checking the food."

Poppy sighed and gave her a serious and worried stare. "Lo, be honest with me. Are you really okay?"

"I'm fine, alright?" she answered,almost close to yelling. The annoyance in her tone was enough to shut her sister up. Poppy sighed, walked away and left her alone in the kitchen.

Lauren pursed her lips. She didn't mean to be rude to her sister who was just concerned about her, but she didn't want to talk about her feelings now or she might burst into tears. She never cried in front of anyone when Zayn left her. Even Luigi and her mother didn't see her tears. She never wanted anyone to see her in her weakest moment. She did all of the crying alone, and it would stay that way.

She sucked in a deep breath and held her chin up, then walked to the dining room.

Her whole family was already settled around the long table. Her father, mother, Poppy, Poppy's husband; Chase, and Grams.

And Zayn.

She swallowed hard and took the seat across him. There was a vacant chair beside him where she used to sit but she acted like she didn't see that spot.

She also didn't look at him. She could feel his stare, it was crawling in her skin but she chose to ignore him. It was easier that way, to pretend that he wasn't around.

"Let's pray, everyone," Grams said weakly. After giving thanks, they started with their lunch.

"Where are the twins?" Lauren asked her sister while reaching for the grilled chicken.

"Nap. Thank God," she replied with a laugh.

Zayn took the tray of chicken that Lauren was trying to reach, then stood up. "Here. Let me," he said to her before putting two thighs of chicken in her plate; the part Lauren loved the most. He also put lettuce wraps beside the chicken. He still knew how she liked eating those two together.

Lauren's eyes stung a little but she successfully ignored it. "Thanks," she murmured without meeting his eyes. She then looked at her sister. "Did the twins eat before taking their nap?"

"Yup. They'll be hungry again once they wake up," Chase replied, pretending he didn't see that awkward scene between his sister-in-law and Zayn. The whole family actually noticed that but they didn't say anything and just acted normal.

"Those children must be too tired," Grams chuckled. "They wrestled and played with Zayn since he arrived here."

"They are really adorable. They remind me of my cousins," he smiled.

Poppy turned to Zayn. "I'm so sorry about your phone by the way. I'll buy you a new one later."

"No, it's fine. It's just a phone," he smiled sincerely.

"What happened to Zayn's phone?" Mike piped up.

"Marcus threw it to the pool," Poppy sighed.

Zayn just laughed softly. "I think he got carried away with our game. It's alright, really. I threw our tv outside the window when I was seven."

Lily gasped in surprise, same as the other members of the family but not Lauren. She already knew those stories about Zayn's childhood. Yaser and Trisha used to tell her those stories. She really liked that family. She had to admit, she missed them.