FORTY EIGHT

"Morning, Lo," Luigi said, his eyes studying his friend's office. "Didn't know you turned your office to a garden," he remarked, walking towards Lauren's desk while looking at the bouquets of red and white roses around.

Lauren removed her glasses and closed her laptop. "Morning," she murmured, almost yawning. "How are you?"

He sat on the chair in front of her desk. "Physically, I'm fine. Mentally, I'm drained. Ryla is teething so we're up all night. How 'bout you? You look so fucking stressed, darling," he pointed out with a frown. "You've been like that for over a week now, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she smiled thinly, resting her back to her chair. "Just can't sleep well these days."

Luigi raised a brow. "Because?"

She avoided his eyes and stared at the white roses on her desk. "Too tired I guess. You know, deadlines and such."

The door opened slowly. Her secretary walked in, holding a box.

"Hi, Lo,"Anna smiled. "Someone sent you this," she said, putting it on her desk.

Lauren's brows met. "Who?"

Anna glanced at Luigi first, then licked her lips. "It's in the card," she muttered, pointing to the card that was attached to the box.

Lauren took the box while Luigi stood up to have a proper look.

I know how hectic and stressful your work could be. Hope these could make you smile even a bit.
-Z

"Z? As in Zayn?" Luigi uttered, obviously shocked. "Why did he send you that? What's in the box?"

Lauren didn't answer. She opened the box. There were six cupcakes with vanilla frostings inside, and they all looked delicious.

Anna excused herself and walked out of the office because she saw how Luigi's face crumpled to a frown. She knew that the two needed a moment.

"Is there something you're not telling me?" Luigi asked, studying Lauren's face. "And these flowers....did he also send them?"

Lauren let out a sigh and pushed the box of cupcakes away from her. She didn't tell Luigi anything, even about her grandmother's wish to see Zayn before she died. She just asked Dustin about the Malik's address and even pleaded to him to just stay silent about it.

Dustin didn't fail her, he definitely kept his word because Luigi looked clueless as hell.

"Oh God," Luigi murmured. "I know that sigh. I know that look. Don't even bother to lie this time, Lauren. Tell me everything," he demanded, sitting on her desk, his eyes questioning her.

Lauren pursed her lips. She didn't share her sentiments to her best friend because she didn't want to bother him with her problems anymore. Luigi was married now, not to mention a parent and she's sure that he's dealing with bigger problems like raising the child and juggling his schedule between home and work.

But her chest was too heavy now and she wanted to let some feelings out. Even just a little.

She took in a deep breath and braved his torturous stare. "I saw Zayn again."

"Say that again?"

"I said...I saw Zayn again."

His eyes almost left his sockets. "Oh God," he gasped. "What happened?"

She told him about her Grams' wish, how she looked for Zayn, the confrontation, even about the gifts and letters he was sending to her. When she was finished, Luigi was too stunned that it took him a couple of minutes before he could say a word.