Chapter 23

Caroline's POV

We head down to the parking lot and hop into my car. Bonnie and Kol get into Klaus's car. I start the engine and ask, "I know why Kol wants to protect Bonnie, but why would you want to?"

"Well love", he starts, "I know you would be upset if the Bennett witch died, so I figured keeping her alive was the best option."

I ask, "Since when does the big bad hybrid care about other people's feelings?"

He says, "Since I met you."

"Klaus", I say and sigh, "why do you also have to be so cheesy and romantic? It makes it so hard."

I realize my mistake and he asks innocently, "What is so hard love?"

I look him dead in the eyes, another mistake. His eyes are so captivating I don't think I'll ever see anything as beautiful as them in my immortal life. I quickly snap my head back to look at the road and say, "Forget I said anything." I want to shout in his face that it is so hard for me to stop myself from throwing myself at him and sleeping with him on the spot. The only time I couldn't resist the urge was that awful day in the woods.

I can practically feel him smirking, but surprisingly, he doesn't push me any further. I pull up in his driveway and get out of the car and head in the house without another word.

Kol's POV

I pull the vehicle into the garage so they won't see Bonnie. She follows me into the house and I say, "Let me show you to your room, Ms. Bennett."

I take her bag from her and ignore her protest about being a woman who doesn't need a man to do things for her. I link her arm to mine and start walking towards her room. I head up the big staircase and to her room, which is right next to mine.

I ask, "I know this sounds strange, but would you like to sign the lease to the house so Marcel and his vampire's can't get in?"

She says, "No, it your guy's house, it would be weird if I owned it."

I want her to sign it so I decide to play another card, "I know Marcel wants Caroline, I heard your conversation with Caroline and Elena before I went into your hotel room. If you sign this then Caroline can also be safe inside this house."

She sighs and says, "If Caroline will be safe, then yes."

I say, "Good, I will go get the papers, you should unpack and be ready for dinner tonight, we are having fish."

"Yuck I hate fish.", she says. I smile and walk out of the room.

I turn the corner and bump into Caroline.

She looks up at me and asks, "Would it be smart to tell Klaus my life is in danger or not?"