Chapter 44

Caroline's POV

"Klaus, I'm sorry, but I really need to go, Bonnie needs me." I could see the disappointment written all over Klaus's face. I felt really bad, but I need to be there for my friend.

Klaus looks at me and says, "Sweetheart, please, just think of yourself for once. Come with me, we can travel the world together."

I say, "Klaus, I really wish I could. I had fun in New Orleans, and thanks for not letting me die of a wolf bite, but I think it's time I get back to my real life. I have to go back to Mystic Falls."

"Caroline", Klaus says taking a step toward me, "we both know you are going to get bored of Mystic Falls, fast. Why don't we just skip that part and you can come back to New Orleans with me? Or we could travel the world, we could do whatever you wanted to do, Caroline."

"Klaus", I say taking a step back, "I really wish I could, but Bonnie is an absolute mess and Elena is a total ass. I need to help out my friends. Stefan is going to go crazy when he finds out how Elena has acted. I need to be there for him, too."

Klaus comes forward and takes my hands in his. He looks at me like I'm the most precious thing in the world. He takes a slow breath and says, "The Ripper will be just fine without you love, and so will the Bennett witch. Please, just stay. You could be happy Caroline, you could do whatever you want. You need to think about yourself, please come with me, Caroline."

I start to cry, why does Klaus have to be so sweet? Why can't he just be the hybrid jerk he was when he sacrificed Elena? Why is this so hard? I should always choose my friends, without a second thought. I shake my head. I say, "I am so sorry Klaus, but I'm just not ready yet."

Before I know what I'm doing, I throw my arms around him. I take a deep breath and breathe in his scent, he smells so wonderful. I'll have to remember his scent while I'm back in Mystic Falls.

Klaus surprisingly pulls away first. He tucks a piece of my hair behind my ear. His touch just warms my heart. I close my eyes and let myself just be happy, for a moment. He says, "I know you aren't ready yet, sweetheart, but I'll wait for you all of eternity if I have. Come to me when you are ready."

He plants a kiss on my forehead and is gone.

A/N: Sorry I took so long to update. I was kind of running out of inspiration for this book. This will most likely be the last chapter, but there will be an epilogue. Thanks to everybody who read my story, I love you all!