Chapter 8 - I was just trying to help

I reach office with Niall's words in my mind – I shouldn't give other people so much importance. Therefore, my intention is to completely wipe away the idea of letting the temptation I have for Steven, influence my mind. The fact that he hasn't seen my messages somehow helps and I tell myself to fuck him out of my mind.

Owing to rush hour traffic, I get a little late to office. Therefore, when I enter our counter I find Deepak and Venkatesh already engrossed in their systems.

"Good morning, Sir," I say to Venkatesh.

"Morning," he smiles at me.

"Morning," I say to Deepak, and he only nods busy reading an article.

I arrange my things, take off my shades and scarf and turn on the computer. Almost all the employees have come except Kiran, Steven and Santosh. I go to the washroom and comb my hair a bit before coming back to occupy my chair. My eyes scan the trending topics on Google News and I quickly discuss five of them with Venkatesh. As he gives me his nod, I start writing the first story for the day.

Nearly five minutes later, Kiran and Santosh enters the office in quick succession and I smile at them. They return the favor and go to their counter, occupying their chairs. No matter how hard I try I can't keep my eyes off of the door, wondering what is taking Steven so long. I glance at the wall clock and learn that it's sharp 11.00 Am. Will he not come today? Oh dear Lord!

I shift my focus back on the computer screen and concentrate on my story.

Nevertheless, after another ten minutes I hear the sound of the sensor plate and I'm certain that it's Steven. I rest my chin on my left palm and keep a watch on the door from the corner of my eyes. And there he comes; walking so fast I get the idea he might have to pee. When he comes close to my workstation I quickly turn my eyes and pretend to be extremely busy. I don't fail to notice that he's wearing the same white with black designed tee and dark gray pants that he wore last week. But for a change a black handkerchief is wrapped around his neck, making him look like a robber.

I decide to not talk to him and keep my temptation at bay, enjoying only looking at him as an eye candy in office.

By the time lunch hours roll in, I've published three stories and each one of them does pretty well. Although Venkatesh won't show I can see a tiny smile on his face, reflecting his happiness. Deepak has brought his lunch after a very long time, so we spend talking and eating together.

"I didn't tell you that I'm getting married next year, did I?" Deepak says, taking a spoonful of rice in his mouth.

"What?" I almost scream. My mouth remains open and eyes widen. He must be joking.

"You must be joking, right?" I smile, speaking my thoughts.

"No, I'm not. I'll be 27 this year," he smiles back.

"So, my cousin turned 26 this year and he would freak out if anybody talked about marriage to him right now. You're young," I don't know why I am trying to discourage him about marriage.

"It doesn't matter. All I want is to increase my bank balance and hope sir increases my salary."

"Is it with her?" I bite my lip, teasing him. I remember Deepak, who was one year senior to me in IIJNM is engaged to Disha from his batch only. Disha is of my age as well as a Bong like me.

"Yeah," he blushes, bowing his head down.

"Awww, that's so sweet," I coo, pulling his cheeks apart.

After lunch, I finish writing another story and I feel that it's the best story I've ever done. I take a look of the wall clock and see that it's 2.30 Pm. As I've already done four stories I decide to take a break. Therefore, I grab my mobile and earplugs and go out of office.