Chapter 30 - Many, many happy returns of the day

"Shit, how come it never came to my mind?" I shake my head as I race up the stairs.

"Really?" Liam's voice is one of shock as well.

"I'm a bad girlfriend, am I not?" I move my face being sad that I never even noticed my boyfriend is a leftie.

"Nooooo," Liam comforts me. "C'mon, Noddy. It's fine to overlook things sometimes."

"Hey," I point my finger at the phone. "My boyfriend can only call me Noddy."

Liam laughs and so do I. "Alright, alright, Nadia. Happy?"

I continue laughing. "Very," I retort as I fetch a key from my bag.

Niall gave me an extra key of his apartment, so I can get in anytime I want. Liam hitched the idea, after Niall quit his job on Monday. His condition is worsening massively by each day and Infotech decided to send him home for good.

Initially, when he told me about it I thought it'll be good because now I can take care of him all the time, not worrying if he took his medicines or ate properly in office. But, deep pondering made me realize that this only meant a serious step towards the end – Niall's end.

Everything around us keeps signaling that our days are numbered. The new drug test failed, the doctors have lost their hopes and Niall has stopped taking treatments. Maybe, his family and Liam have given up as well.

But, I haven't and I'll not give up.

They say when science stops, hope begins. I have high hopes that Niall will make it. Good people always make it regardless of what. I don't care how long, but I believe he'll survive and stay with me.

I unlock the door and enter the apartment, finding the sitting area dark. As I turn on the lights I realize Niall must be sleeping in his room, after all it's 15 minutes to midnight – way past his bedtime. I stealthily stroll towards his room and enter the same, catching my boyfriend sleeping like a cute baby.

Smiling on my own, I move towards him and lean in to land a peck on his cheek. He stirs a tad in his sleeping position once I pull away.

"Happy birthday, baby," I mutter under my breath, looking at the sleeping boy who is about to turn 24 in 15 minutes.

The depth of the occasion captures me, and I sit down on the ground. I take Niall's hand in mine and entwine them together. His skin is so cold and numb, but it still manages to induce fire throughout my body. I bring our entwined hands on my heart as the beats get louder and deeper. And then, I don't know when tears start shedding down my eyes.

I think of a world without Niall. Going to office, knowing he won't be at home waiting for me; spending weekends without his crazy self making me fall harder for him every second; knowing that I won't ever be able to see him again; knowing that our love will become history; realizing the truth that our journey was destined to be short-lived.

I bite my lower lip, and bend my head down as my lips touch our intertwined hands. My heart that is already broken crashes even more. The reality is something I've known since I got to know about Niall's sickness. But, I believe God will spare him and keep him back with me.

I don't want to anticipate things because love conquers it all, and my love will conquer the invincible. I know, I know!

My phone buzzes as this time, dragging me out of my thoughts. I quickly receive the call lest Niall wakes up.

"Hello," I say, sniffing.

"Hey, where are you?" Liam asks.

"In Niall's room, you guys?" I rise to my feet, leaving Niall's hand.