Chapter 34 - Goodbye

My parents have called me some 20 times since morning after my landlady informed them that without prior notice I've suddenly decided to leave the apartment. However, I'm yet to answer a single one of their calls.

The truth is I know they're gems especially my mother who has always been more like a best friend to me than a strict mom. I know they'll understand and probably suggest me to go back home and take as many months break as I want.

But, that will only deepen my wounds.

Homely comfort and staying around my family and friends will heal me faster than I can imagine now. But, when I'll have to come back to Bangalore and start living alone all over again I know the pain will come back and my life will fall back into the pit like I never even got out of it in the first place.

So, the best medicine right now is to simply leave Bangalore and go to a new city that will not haunt me with memories. The only way I can cope with being alone is by living alone itself.

My flight is at 6.00 Pm. My bank balance has gone down to an all time low record after I tanked in 10,276 rupees for my ticket. I have no idea how I'll manage after landing in Delhi and how I'll pay rent without a job. But for now, I just want to go there and escape Bangalore permanently.

My apartment has been a mess since morning with clothes and other stuff scattered everywhere. Therefore, now that it's 2.00 Pm I decide to take the broomstick and clean the place.

The suitcases and a few small bags stand erect in one corner of the living room. My stomach makes weird noises after I conveniently decided to skip both breakfast and lunch. My body smells like dead mouse and I'm literally enveloped in dust.

When I'm done cleaning the place the clock says that it's 2.30 Pm. I look around and see the apartment looking exactly how I saw it when I came here 3 months ago. The furniture are in perfect position and the walls look as dead as someone could be. It's like nobody even stayed here ever.

I sense this insensible situation taking a toll on me so I close my eyes briefly and enter the bathroom, grabbing my towel from the bedroom.

Finally, as the clock strikes 3.00 Pm I find myself completely dressed and ready to leave the place. I check my handbag for all the essential things that I would need on the flight.

At this time, the landlady comes to my door. Her eyes carry a deadly look.

"Ready to leave?" she asks.

"Yes, aunty," I nod, hesitantly.

"Where are you going?"

After a few seconds of pause I retort, "Delhi."

"Do your parents know?"

"No."

"What about your job?"

"I quit."

"You quit?" she raises her voice an octave and I cringe.

"Aunty, I've a plan and I know mom and dad will certainly understand it. I'm really sorry that I decided to leave in such haste, but it's necessary. I couldn't have lived here anymore."

Although I look at the ground I feel her eyes on me. Soon, she strolls forward and stands before me.

"Is it because of Niall?" her voice is as soft as it can be.

I bite my lips in between my teeth and tell my heart to be strong. However, I fail to utter anything.

Her hand travels to rest on one side of my shoulder where she rubs gently.